Should I BUY a 2007 Macbook for $100?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XeroZeus, Aug 19, 2012.

1. XeroZeus macrumors newbie

A guy I know was telling me that he just finally bought a new MBP. He was happy to upgrade to the new technology from his old 2007 Macbook. My gf has wanted a Macbook for a long time for school. Is it worth it for only $100 to buy the Macbook from the guy? He said the backlight is messed up. Here is his text:

I'll do 100 shipped and thats a good price. I looked and broken ones with completely cracked screens go for up to 200 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1031wt_1220

On mine it's the backlight that is messed up. It's fully functioning other than the light

here is what you need to fix it http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-...#ht_500wt_1220

Is this worth it for $100? If my girlfriend doesnt like it I might be able to re-sell it for profit or break even?

2. 655324 Guest

In my opinion yes, it is still an excellent laptop,especially at $100. Get it fixed and use an iFixIt tutorial for guidance. If you can't fix it, just sell it- you'll probably get your $100 back but if you do fix it, you've got a very good laptop for a very good price. Either that or sell it for a profit :D

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

4. XeroZeus thread starter macrumors newbie

Why not?

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It's a cracker with a smoked screen...

a minimum of $150 to fix a notebook that maxes at Snow, and was never really quick..for 250-350 I'd be inclined toward a 15" PowerBook..That doesn't crack every year on principal.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Because by the time you get it to working order, you're dropping as much as a newer model. Right now you know it needs a new display. It may also require other things. It's old. If the logic board or something on it dies, it could still set you back a couple hundred right there. Computers are very bad fixer projects unless you absolutely know how to source cheap parts. Even then it's much much slower than what you can buy today. You clearly don't even know enough about this model to assess it. If it was worth more, he would likely ask more for it.

Also just noted listing removed.