Should I buy a 2009 Mac Pro...or wait

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mafpolo, Jul 10, 2011.

1. mafpolo macrumors member

2009 Mac Pro, still has Apple Care. Quad core, has original box, and a decent amount of software. Has the 2.66 ghz.

I can buy a new one with the 2.8...or even wait for the next generation. I currently have the last model of the Power Mac 5's, but I can't buy new software for it, since it doesn't have Intel chips (unit still runs great).

I can save $900 when I include the software costs, RAM upgrade on the new unit. Is it worth the $900 to go new?

I also will have to buy a new monitor. I have a nice Apple Cinema Display (acrylic), which is still perfect - no pixels damaged, no color issues. Is there a way I can use this monitor with a new Mac Pro?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If it were my money, I'd shell out the extra $900 for new. In a world where the typical useful life of a computer is 4-5 years, tops, you're buying one that's already middle-aged. Doesn't make sense to me.

If you're really hard-pressed for the money, even a new iMac would be a more worthy investment than a 2-year-old computer.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You can use your existing monitor with a new Mac Pro.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

A refurbed '10 would make better sense...faster chip, better graphics card for only a couple of hundred more dollars.

It may make more sense for him NOT to get a new one with 10.7 (if or when they come out) since he's got so much legacy software that won't be supported by Rosetta in that release.