Should I Buy A 2010 i7 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryan Of Seattle, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Ryan Of Seattle macrumors newbie

Should I Buy A 2010 i7 2.66 MBP

Or should I wait for the new model to come out?

How much improvement will there be in the new models?

Do you really think they would release a new computer without the latest os lion I am just saying wouldn't they wait?

2. Brettla macrumors regular

Wait

There should be a good improvement in specs

They will, and have released computers just before a big os update.

3. RayK macrumors 6502

Or should I wait for the new model to come out?

How much improvement will there be in the new models?

Do you really think they would release a new computer without the latest os lion I am just saying wouldn't they wait?

Everything is speculation. If you need a new machine now get one, if not wait. Lion is probably not going to be released until after the WWDC in June. If you are going to buy now consider a refurb so you can save some money.

4. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

here we go again with the "should i buy" threads.
    the answer is yes you should buy one

5. T-bag Guest

6. dwhynman macrumors regular

Well you told me that an apple rep told you that the new models would not be out until the fall. So since you had such good info I am surprised you have not bought one yet Ryan.

7. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Buy it?
    -Absolutely not.

Wait?
    -Yes.

Will Apple release a new MBP before OS X Lion?
    -Yes.

8. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Graphics

Keep in mind that the update may include much improved graphics in addition to the cpu upgrade.

9. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Just wait. You're looking around March or earlier. Wouldn't it suck if you bought a MBP and then a week later a new model came out w/ better specs and maybe even a slightly more reasonable price? Waiting is best because if you don't think the latest and greatest is worth it, you can possible buy the 2010 model brand new w/ a reduced price.

10. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

:) If you ask me a month earlier I would say yes, but if it's now... I'm not sure.

I don't want to make you feel bad if new models are released the day after your new MBP arrives....no matter how less you care about new tech, it's gonna make you feel bad.

I won't say a definite "No" to your question because I'm not sure whether you will feel better if the new models are to be released one month after your purchase.

Given the news saying that the Cougar Point bug may not affect Apple a lot, I would keep my original prediction of mid March to April.

11. waynep macrumors 6502

I just bought 2 MBP's a month ago. If they release a new model next week I won't be sorry.

Answer this question honestly . . "Do you really need to newest/fastest model there is?" Most people don't need . . they want. For my purposes, the 2010 model will last me a while.

12. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes, but you may get a 2010 MBP with a lower price point after the introduction of new models. But as you have already enjoyed it for 2 months, it's fine! I just don't think the OP should take this risk now.

But OP must notice that the first batch of new models usually have some issues.

13. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Well spoken, haruhiko. Buyer's remorse is a terrible thing. One of the worst cases I have encountered was a suicidal guy who had bought a late 2008 alu-MB with 2 GB RAM, 160 GB disk and non-backlit kbd just a month before the refresh in 2009. Now, the new MBP 13 had 4 GB RAM, 250 GB disk, FireWire, backlit kbd and better screen at the same price point.

14. vectus macrumors member

These threads should be auto-deleted. I can't believe how many insecure people there are who can't make a simple purchase decision.

15. haruhiko, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

It's not simple if you want and even need a notebook right now but people keep telling you new mbp full of amazing magical features will come out in few weeks and how you'll be screwed if you buy it now.

From the wikipedia article "Buyer's remorse":

Causes

The anxiety may be rooted in various factors, such as: the person's concern they purchased the wrong product, purchased for a bad price, purchased instead of waiting for a newer model, purchased in an ethically unsound way, purchased on credit, or purchased something that would not be acceptable to others.

In the phase before purchasing, a prospective buyer often feels positive emotions associated with a purchase (desire, a sense of heightened possibilities, and an anticipation of the enjoyment that will accompany using the product, for example); afterwards, having made the purchase, they are more fully able to experience the negative aspects: all the opportunity costs of the purchase, and a reduction in purchasing power.

Also, before the purchase, the buyer has a full array of options, including not purchasing; afterwards, their options have been reduced to:

continuing with the purchase, surrendering all alternatives
    renouncing the purchase[dubious – discuss]
    Buyer's remorse can also be caused or increased by worrying that other people may later question the purchase or claim to know better alternatives.

:cool:

16. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Some of them could be merged into each other - or deleted when filled up with junk posts like the one I'm quoting right now. But auto-deleted? When a refresh is near? I disagree. Basically because it's not a simple purchase decision at all. The closer we are to the refresh, the more difficult the decision will be.