Should I buy a 2012 Macbook Pro for USB 3.0 and HD4000?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamantoise, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro that I learned a hard lesson with (Use rubbing alcohol to clean keys as opposed to anything else really), shorted out my Shift and Control keys in the process.

In any event, I just bought a Samsung 840 SSD for Cyber Monday and I am wondering if I should put it in my 2011 Macbook Pro, or if I should buy a 2012 Macbook Pro (not Retina, I have use for Ethernet) for USB 3.0 and HD4000?

I've been searching for Windows laptops to use instead but I've ultimately decided on Macbook Pro again (as much as I hate to admit it) simply because it's the best casual use experience I've ever had (web browsing, watching movies).

2. Freestar007 macrumors newbie

With some patience, you could replace the keyboard, saving $2000. Not going to see much difference except in having USB 3.

3. Adamantoise, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

$2000? 13" Macbook Pro is selling for $1000 I thought.

Here's the kicker though, it's out of warranty and I don't have Applecare, another hard lesson learned, thought "Well, it won't happen to me".

In any event, local Apple repair shop is quoting me $389 to repair the keyboard, they say it requires a replacement of the upper unibody assembly. My dad believes that the logic board is probably just dirty, he says that if it's a short, it will take out more keys than just the Shift and Control. Is he right about this?

I'm pretty certain something is shorted on the logic board, I mean, I saw the Lysol seep in while I was cleaning. Besides, if it was truly just dirty, they key's response should be intermittent, but it's not, it's simply no longer responding.

So it's a question of whether to repair this one, or just buy another ... I mean $400 is pricey for just a repair.

4. Freestar007 macrumors newbie

Sorry, I assumed 15". The 13" sure is a good deal less. Especially the base refurb...

Applecare doesn't cover liquid damage. However, if that wasn't deemed to be the issue (as it seems it is often kindly overlooked at the genius bar), you might have been in luck.

That is indeed the official way of replacing the keyboard. However (and I just did this), you can buy a new keyboard from eBay and install it yourself, just follow the iFixit guide (but you don't have to go so far as the part where the display is removed).

We have no way of knowing. I'd say if the keyboard isn't responding correctly, but the rest of the machine runs fine, it's probably not the logic board. If you look at the keyboard part (eBay), it actually has a black plastic backing that contains the backlight, so it hopefully blocked liquid seeping further in. The keyboard also connects to the logic board by a ribbon cable, so any shorting there would have taken out most/all keys.

My vote - try to fix it. Have fun playing inside your computer. If it doesn't solve the problem, you're out $30 and some free time. :)

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I would fix it myself and save a bundle.

However, if u don't want to deal with it, I bet u can sell for like $700+ because there will be tons of people who will be able to fix this relatively easy problem.

6. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I might just sell it as is and buy a 2012 replacement.

I'd repair it but I really don't think it's worth it unless I don't intend on replacing it for some time (something I'm not sure about yet).

Also Freestar007 ... The upper assembly costs $300, not $30. I can't gamble away $300, lol.

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux