Should I buy a $350 2008 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sanmakaren, Nov 30, 2013.

1. sanmakaren macrumors newbie

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Intel GMA X3100 144 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b)

My dad's friend is offering to sell it to me for $350 with a new battery that lasts about 4:30 hours
    I'm testing it out for the weekend and so far it's been really fast without any issues. My only complaint is that it has two bright spots on the screen both the size of dimes and 1mm size scratch on the screen.

Can the screen be replaced? Most of the time I don't notice it unless I look for it but I'd be happier if it wasn't there.

I'm in need of a laptop that'll last at least 3-4 years since I'm going to be an exchange student in a few months.

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

They're good laptops, but it won't be getting any more updates past OS X Lion, which is okay for now, but in a few years as applications drop support for it, it may become an issue.

I would try to look for a unibody MacBook or MacBook pro from Late 2008 and onwards, as they are still supported. It will cost more though, somewhere around $450 and up.

Other than that, it's still a good computer, I just upgraded a family members early 08 MacBook to a 750GB HDD and 4GB RAM, made it run like new.

The screen could be replaced, but it wouldn't be very cost effective, and would be better put to a better model.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here are the specs for that machine. Just looking at recently ended eBay auctions for similar Macs, I think if it did not have the screen damage it would be worth the $350... but I would not pay that with the screen damage. Maybe knock $100 off for that.

Even if you can replace the screen yourself, a new one will be around $150 and I don't think worth it. JMO

I would say if you could get that for around $250 and pop 4GB of RAM in there you would have a serviceable machine for light usage like word processing, spreadsheets and web browsing. Assuming you can live with the screen damage.

4. sanmakaren thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you guys. I'm going to see if I can put in another 200 and get something a little newer. Probably look for some odd jobs or sell some old textbooks.

5. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree with Brett and Weasel. Here where I live, there are lots of CL ads for Macbooks in the 2007-2008 range. In the past 2 months I've gotten a 2007 for $125 and 2008 2.4 4GB for $200. I do not use high pressure purchase tactics, just make offers when there is a glut of sellers.

Check CL, and if applicable show (your dad's friend?) that his prices aren't reasonable. Old people (I am one) sometimes forget that tech depreciates insanely fast. Granted, Apple products depreciate slower than other similar devices, but $350 seems about double reasonable. Pull some ads to show him that.

If he doesn't retract his price, politely thank him for the weekend demo, and buy one from a stranger. I meet sellers at McDs, and spend 15 minutes with them chatting about whatever - all the while I am scrutinizing the device making sure it doesn't have hidden flaws.

Don't let him sell the fact that the battery is newish. Sounds like the screen flaws would be really distracting. The specs are somewhat 'meh', and it is likely a Macbook 2,1 - so when it comes down to it, it's really old 2nd gen 5 year old tech.

$350 is a cold price. Locally I have a seller selling a 6,1 macbook with similar specs for $400. That's his asking price. He'll likely go down to $350 with little pressure.

Your seller should go down a lot.