Should I buy a 3GS or wait for 4th gen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doctorjdx, Dec 17, 2009.

  1. doctorjdx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #1
    Was looking at the buying guides here on the site, and it said not to purchase a 3GS, since an update was expected soon. If I were to buy one, wouldn't the update, weather OS 3.1 or 4.0, be free to install? I've read that the 'new' iphone should be out in June or July, but I'm being deployed in June, and so I'm wondering if the new updates will work on the phone or should I wait? Thanks for the help!
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    I just bought one couple of weeks ago. It's long time till June so I would just buy it now. OS updates are AFAIK free so you shouldn't worry about that
     
  3. -aggie- macrumors P6

    -aggie-

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location:
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    #3
    Sure, you can get the updates and they are always free, but that doesn't mean you'll get the full use of the update, if the next generation has features your phone doesn't have. The update they were referring to was a new model and that's why they were telling you to wait. It has nothing to do with software.

    As far as buying goes, I'd wait, but that's your decision. If you have to have it now, then get it, but don't kick yourself later when you wished you had the new features of the newer phone.

    FYI, you're not allowed to bring an iPhone to Iraq or Afghanistan, if that's the deployment you are referring to.
     
  4. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2009
    #4
    Just curious where you saw that?
     
  5. flutieflakes01 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2009
    #5
    I'm waiting

    I have the original iphone, and I was tempted recently to buy the 3GS....but my phone still works great, and I would rather apply my discounted upgrade price to the new iphone that is coming out in the summer....hmm...well, I think that I can apply the upgrade and get the new iphone at a discounted price, that is! Perhaps I should post that as a question to the forum. hehe.

    I have heard rumors that there will be some pretty awesome new features on the new iphone...all just rumors now of course, because nobody knows, but if I had to guess, it will be much different than the 3GS since the 3GS was very similar to the 3G with just a few added features.
     
  6. Camaro6700 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    #6
    December last year my original iphone's screen cracked but was still usable. I was tempted to go an upgrade to the 3G, but wanted to wait till MacWorld to see if they were upgrading to 16gband 32gb. That didnt happen, so I decided to keep waiting till 3GS was announced in the beggining of June and picked up my 3GS. I recommend waiting till next release if you can. If not then buy your phone now. I was glad that I did wait, but everyone is different.
     
  7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #7

    Who knows...the Magic 8 Ball:[​IMG]
     
  8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #8
    The software update will work on your current iPhone if you already have an old model. However, the new *hardware* which will be offered this summer will likely have features that a simple software update will not give you.

    In short, its best to wait for the new hardware at this point in my opinion. The iPhone is a two year commitment for most people -- that's 24 months.
     
  9. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    #9
    I upgraded a week ago (from a 3G), and so far I am very happy that I did! The 3GS is much smoother/faster, and the extra storage is sooo nice. It's obviously a personal decision, and there is no right or wrong answer. Just make sure you understand what all of the new features are, and then decide if you need them now, or if you'd rather wait.
     
  10. thelatinist macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #10
    Assuming that there is any new hardware.
     
  11. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    #11
    i'm waiting until June really, the 3gs to me was too expensive for a little bit faster machine... especially when the 3g got the 3.0 update
     
  12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

    TheSpaz

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    #12
    It amazes me that these threads don't get locked, but mine do. :rolleyes:
     
  13. str1f3 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2008
    #13
    They've already been testing it and Foxconn has won the contract to build it. This is going to be a significant upgrade as the 3GS was.
     
  14. -aggie-, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013

    -aggie- macrumors P6

    -aggie-

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location:
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    #14
    Life's not always fair.

    I know people over there and that's what they were told before they deployed.
     

Share This Page