Should I buy a 4G LTE or get mifi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Geekbabe, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I have a 16GB wifi iPad 3, I have decent wifi locally but want the option to have 4G for travel. I also have a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. On a 4GB double data plan.

I have a 4G iPad in the cart at Apple but this is a lot of $$$ that could be going toward upgrading my MacBook Air. Should I get a prepaid mifi device that I only pay for when needed? Should I just add mobile hotspot to my current phone plan or just bite the bullet & buy another iPad?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You want me to tell you how much money to spend?

Ok.

Get the 64GB LTE iPad. You'll love it.

3. Geekbabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I'm sure I would but I think my husband might like it if I explore less costly options that allow me to use the iPad I already have, he's funny that way :D

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Since Verizon offers free tethering the advantage may be to get the Verizon LTE iPad. One less device to carry around and charge.

5. Geekbabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Yes that's true.. But it's also close to 1k to purchase another iPad, maybe I will just get a Verizon mifi device to use when I travel.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

True. You really can't lose either way.

7. IDANNY, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

If you get the Verizon one you can swap the sim cards from device to device.
    That is what I do.
    Work well for me.
    I have had a few issues in iOS 6 but in 5 worked well.

Verizon has this in there 4g sim card FAQs http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/VZAccess/4g_sim_card.html

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Heh. I had to buy my wife a iPhone 4S, an iPad 3 64GB LTE AND a MacBook Air. She's funny that way... ;)

9. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I've used both, and find the mifi a bit of a pain in the butt to use. The LTE ipad is so much easier and faster.

10. Geekbabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I'm the only one here with Apple devices, my husband is very tech savvy but is a die hard Windows guy, he refers to my devices as " that rotten fruit" :D

11. aleni macrumors 68020

using a midi is a hassle. if i were u, i'd get the LTE version. internet is instant on

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Is there really any pay as you go data?

I had boost but they changed recently to pay...clock starts....use or lose.

Who's left?

13. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I went through this same debate when the New iPad frist came out. I got the LTE on VZ, and loved the speed but returned it for a WiFi model because the cost of data was too much. Now that VZ has announced the new data plan I am totally kicking myself for my knee jerk reaction. :mad:

14. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My husband has the Verizon Mifi Jetpack, 3g,4g, LTE. You get 3GB of data for thirty days, $60.00, can connect unto 5 devices at a time. I think there is also a $15.00/ one week/ 3mb plan. Works like the iPad data plan, buy when you need it, no activation charge.

The battery seems to last about 4 hours, not nearly as long as my iPad with wifi, 4g, LTE.

My husband uses the MIFi mainly with his notebook and wifi iPad, so it made sense for him because he can have one data plan for two devices.

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Just tether on your nexus. Problem solved, you really do not need 4G speeds. Ask the rest of the world ;) no LTE there!

So yeah if you plan to travel outside of US or canada, your not going to get 4G LTE anyway.