Should I buy a 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheFragileOne, Feb 9, 2012.

1. TheFragileOne, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

TheFragileOne macrumors newbie

TheFragileOne

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a smartphone... tomorrow. :D I'm looking at the 4S and with Best Buy's $50 Gift Card when I upgrade, it'll only be $150 (yay!).

I was thinking about buying the phone now, but I was also thinking on waiting till the iPhone 5. Rumors say June, but look at the 4S release date. So, I'm just wondering should I wait or get it now? The main thing I want on the 5 is just a bigger screen and 4G. I was thinking on buying the 4S now, then possibly selling it before the 5 (if the 5 is a big enough improvement) then buying it.

So what do you-all think? This is my first real Apple product besides my extremely slow iPod Touch 2nd Gen.

I'm also torn on color, haha. The black looks classy and nice, while the white looks really neat and cool (some say girly, too).

I guess it would help if I were to say what I was going to use the phone for, huh? Mainly for music, texting, calling, 4chan (yep), Flipboard, Twitter. And possibly some music streaming depending on my data usage (thanks Verizon for 2GB per month).

Thanks everyone for helping and I look forward to browsing this forum! :)

Edit: Also, should I get a screen protector? If so, Zagg or Power Support? Or even a different company. I don't really want a case. I like the feel of the naked iPhone (I don't even want a screen protector since I'm careful with my electronics. But I may get it just to be safe so if I do resell it I won't have scratches).

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I'm facing the same dilemma. I got enough money for a 16gb 4S for my birthday, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade. I'm eligible in August, but my mom is eligible now. She is willing to let me take her upgrade and she can take mine in August. What do you all think?

4. TheFragileOne thread starter macrumors newbie

TheFragileOne

Hey man, thanks for the advice, it was very helpful. :rolleyes: I know I should "do what I want," but I don't know much about the Apple ecosystem and community.

5. notMordecai macrumors newbie

notMordecai

If you really need a new phone, get the 4S. It's a fantastic phone and you will not regret your decision. You can also get one now and sell it when the 5 comes out and it's more of your cup of tea.

If you want a bigger screen it's sort of understandable. The 3.5" screen of the iPhone has never been a hassle for me because of it's great resolution.

I feel like other than a design change the iPhone 5 isn't going to get much more upgrades. Maybe a camera upgrade... maybe an A6 but that's it.

In the end, it's really up to you. Summer is about 4-5 months away. That's quite a good amount of time to decide if the 4S is for you or not. It is for me!

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Best advice. Thank you!

OP: Sorry for the threadjack.

7. TheFragileOne thread starter macrumors newbie

TheFragileOne

Agreeing with AlphaDogg, thanks for the advice. I'll just go with the 4S. What's the normal resale value on the iPhone's? And what sort of screen protector should I get? Or maybe an Otterbox Defender but I don't really like the bulk it adds.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I really like Powersupport ones. I have one on my 3GS.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Buy a 4S. It's a proven model.

Once the new one is released it may turn out to have a few bugs. It's only natural when a major upgrade occurs. The 4S models we have in my family are quite nice.

You'll be happy you decided to buy now.

10. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Do what you want. Say whatever, whatever I do what I want.

11. TheFragileOne thread starter macrumors newbie

TheFragileOne

I see how straight forward some are here. :p I'm going to get the 32Gb and decide color there. I'm not going to worry about a screen protector yet. Thanks everyone. :)

12. bandofbrothers, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

In the end the 4s will tick all the boxes of your wants and needs.

If one always waited to see whats new out around the corner, then one would never make an actual purchase.

If you have the disposable income then go ahead and buy !

i use the iPhone 4 at the moment and love it.

The 4s at the moment does not offer me any more than what i need from my 4 so i won't be upgrading yet.

If I wanted siri then id just jb and pay a small yearly fee for the siri proxy.

The reason why some members have been rather short in their replies is that your question is all too common on the forums, so they roll their eyes. They really should remember they once too were in the throes of choosing from apple options, and maybe at one time needed a little insight to help one along !

Knowledge is power.

As for protection i too don't favour the kind of cases that would protect the phone thro a nuclear winter !
    I have a sgp carbon fiber back affixed , with a simple black bumper with metal buttons to finish the look off.
    Not the original apple bumper as their prices as far too high !

I added the bumper simply to aid grip as the naked phone is a slippery little so and so !

I hope your enjoying your iPhone 4s and maybe repost with your thoughts about it !

Welcome to the truly dark side.

13. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

worst time ever to be buying a phone.

in the next couple of months android quad core phones will be released including The Beast ( galaxy s3) so prices should drop a little on high end androids like the galaxy s2

I cannot see the "iphone 5" being released later than summer. If you want an iphone you should wait for that