should I buy a 7200 rpm HD for my macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by javks, Jan 20, 2009.

1. javks macrumors newbie

HI, I own a macbook with 2.4ghz cpu, 2gb ram and 160 gb drive. I am thinking about doing some upgrades to it because I need to run parallels, and it makes the computer too slow.
    So, I was wandering if 2 x 2Gb PC667 DDR2 CL5 Kingston would make it.

Also, I want to buy a new hard drive, I have 3 options but just don't know wich one I should choose:

1)Western Digital - HDD 320GB SCORPIO 16mb cache Sata 7200 RPM 2,5"

2)Western Digital - 320GB SCORPIO SATA 8mb cache 5400 RPM 2,5"

3)or buying an external Western Digital - HDD 320GB 2,5" so I could use it's case for my old disk

so does it makes a lot of difference to have a faster hard drive or shoul I save some cash buying a slower one?
    and are the external drives as good as the internals or because they can't get good transfer rates trough the usb cables the manufacturers make them slower? Anyone knows the cache and RPM specs for this ones: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=391?

thanks

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

1)Western Digital - HDD 320GB SCORPIO 16mb cache Sata 7200 RPM 2,5"

I bought this one. I notice VERY LITTLE difference in speed. I personally wish I would have saved the $100 and not upgraded it. Just not worth it as the differences are so minor from the 5400 rpm hdd.

3. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Additional RAM will give you a greater performance boost when running parallels. Personally, I've found that 7200rpm drives have three distinct performance improvements (over 5400rpm drives):
    - Boot times
    - Cold starting apps
    - Large file transfers

Generally speaking, the difference will only be a few seconds, but then again, a second can feel like an hour in some cases.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I just got the 7200 rpm Seagate 320 GB, and it has been fantastic (i.e. I haven't lost my data yet).

My computer has definitely been faster, but it's probably not entirely due to the 7200 rpm speed. Your Mac will be faster if you have more harddisk space. I only had 7 GB free on my old harddisk, so of course my computer was a little bit slower. Perhaps a 320 GB 5400 rpm harddisk would have been around the same speed, but if you do large data transfers that will take a long time, there will probably be a performance boost using the 7200 rpm harddisk. Starting applications may also be (slightly) faster, but again, it may be due to having a lot more free disk space than before.

5. javks thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, I guess I will buy a 5400 rpm, but what about the external devices, do you think that the drive inside as the same performance as the internal ones?

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  7. houdinize macrumors regular

Seagate 500GB

Thinking of getting a Alu Macbook and upgrading the HDD, saw this as shipping soon: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9500420AS/

It's a 500 GB HDD from Seagate, 7200 rpm for $160

Not bad, especially since just the 320GB Apple drive is and extra $200
    What do you think? Never had a Seagate drive.

8. JPark macrumors 6502a

I'm no longer a fan of Hitachi. I don't know what returning drives from other brands is like, but Hitachi's return process seems designed to encourage you to just buy a new drive instead.

Edit: I should add that this was for returning a year old but still under warranty dead hard drive.

9. javks thread starter macrumors newbie

already bought 2gb of ram, the only one the store add, now I have 3gb of ram installed but haven't really noticed a difference opening parallels, maybe slightly faster, probably with 4gb paired it will go faster

Haven't got the disk, still unsure that, if I buy an external one and remove it from it's casing and put it in my mac, it will have the same performance as a specific internal drive

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

2X2GB Crucial RAM at Newegg $36.99 free shipping.

What kind of external drive do you want? I would suggest an internal 5400 RPM for your MB if you want to keep it cool. The white MBs tend to be like plastic toasters.

As for an external, I just got This 320GB 7200 RPM combo USB/F400 External drive from OWC for $129.99 after rebate for my sister-in-law. It is cheaper than buying the drive and enclosure separately.

As for your internal drive, is this computer out of warranty? If so, just buy from OWC for $59.99 after $10 rebate plus $4.99 shipping and rebate your old drive. You could get $25 back for the drive. However, if this is still in warranty you might as well keep the old drive so you can pop it back in if you send it for repair. If you want to keep your drive and get free shipping just buy from Newegg for $59.99 after $10 rebate.

11. javks thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a 320gb, 7200rpm and 16mb cache hard drive from Western Digital, but I am going to trade it for a 5400rpm one because it makes a lot of vibration compared with my old drive

12. Cleve macrumors regular

While you'll get a bit more speed..

You won't notice it. But you will notice the space that goes along with a 500GB Hard Drive. I believe Western Digital is the best (most reliable, quiet, green, etc). The best way to do it:
    Buy the external drive for super cheap,
    Clone your drive onto it (CCC or Time machine restore)
    Take apart the external drive and swap drives with the MAcBook.
    Now you've got 500G of space AND a sweet external pocket drive! All for $100 - easy!

[​IMG]

13. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Interesting.

14. relativist macrumors regular

Do not get a 320Gb, get the new Seagate 500Gb 7200 rpm hard drive. You might have to wait a bit for stock, but it's well worth the upgrade.

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes but not accurate, you need to format the external before cloning

16. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I knew that already.

The interesting part for me was inserting a WD Passport into the MacBook. I hadn't thought about that. :)

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Oh i see, yep it's a old trick that works out well cheap, if use the link in my sig their are plenty of threads on the subject