Should I buy a cheap battery for my Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grumpiegoblin, Aug 12, 2015.

1. grumpiegoblin macrumors newbie

Hi! I have an Macbook Pro a1278 late 2011 edition laptop where the battery has svollen up. Therefore I need to replace it. My question is, the batteries are in a range of prices all stating that they are 10.8V 4400mAh, is there a good reason not to choose the cheapest option? I'm currently looking at amazon uk and found from 16£ up to 60£. The 16£ one only has 2 ratings, and allthough they give good marks I want some more customer reviews.

I got the macbook for free as it was brooken and have replaced the hdd and glass, now its only the battery left. So I don't want to spend a lot on the battery as long as it works.

Please let me know if you had any experience with this or any other tips.

Cheers!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Third party batteries have the nasty tendency of not lasting very long (i.e. swelling after less than 6 months, many friends of mine experienced this first hand). Poorly made, chinese copy-cat batteries(which is what you're seeing on Amazon) are also a fire hazard. I wouldn't want to burn down my house over a few bucks, I don't know about you.

It's a premium laptop, if all it takes to regain functionality is a genuine battery, it's not much money to fork out.

3. grumpiegoblin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I already replaced the hdd and glass, and no I don't want to burn down my house. However how do I know which is original, many of them say they are original. And some more serious third party once like Anker and Floureon. They both have over 100 reviews and a 4+ rating.

Any recomendations? thanks!

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

In my experience (more than 20 years around Apple laptops, many of those in a service shop.) - cheap batteries are almost never a bargain. In fact, if you look around, the lowest price is often your warning to stay away - far away.
    If you need good performance from a battery, then replace with a good one.
    The price is what it is.
    And likely the price will better than the frustration that you will feel when you have to replace that cheap battery again - too soon!
    ( I do like Anker, but have no experience with the batteries that they offer. )

5. grumpiegoblin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all your help. I will go for a better battery then. But I wonder if the Anker battery is decent. They are a serious company so I would think they won't put a dangurous/bad product on the market.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you want a genuine battery, the only source is straight from Apple.

There is a flat fee for it, including(IIRC) a top case replacement if you get it done in an Apple Store.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7096288?language=en