should I buy a cinema display or a macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by geestring, May 3, 2009.

1. geestring macrumors newbie

I'm deciding what I should do with my work setup. For 2 years I have be designing (flash) on a 13" white macbook!

I've come to realize this is insane and I need some more space and more power.

I've got a client for the summer but I don't want to wait for the cash to come in before I upgrade.

Should I purchase one those new 24" led displays from apple? I don't know if it's compatible with my white macbook core2duo. With buying a display it will be more flexible if I decide to use it with future laptop purchases. If it is not compatible, maybe I should just get a samsung for $400cdn. Purchasing a display though does not improve my laptop hardware, however I have had no problems yet running my apps.

Or get a last gen macbook pro 17" refurb for $2300, which is still quite expensive for me. I will have to put this on creditcard before I get paid.

Really I don't want to be working on a 13" macbook with my new intuos4

Advice please:)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You will need one of the late 2008 / Unibody machines to run the 24" cinema display unfortunately, and there isn't any way around this one.

I would go with the extra screen real estate if you are comfortable working with flash on that machine (speed wise), especially important if you'll want to show your work to clients or just be more productive overall.

Since you'd have to put the machine on credit I would wait until it is absolutely necessary to upgrade (twiddling thumbs waiting) which could end up costing you money.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can get a comparable screen for much, much less. Search around the Buyer's advice board.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Well if the color reproduction isn't that important where you warrant a IPS or similar panel, get a generic TN panel.

You could sell the MB, get a 15" MBP or 17", although I find the 15 easier to travel with. Then get an external monitor. You can pick up an older 23" ACD for 500 used or just get a generic 22" for 200.

If you want the monitor to be able to be used with future purchases, I would be wary of Apples 24" ACD. Only has a mini display port, nothing else.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Not true. Dell's equivalent display is actually more expensive, especially if you are eligible for Apple's student discounts. The Apple combo of LED backlighting and IPS panel is also a rare one, I'm not sure if there are many true alternative products.

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

7. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

geestring, you might also want to consider the HP LP2475w monitor. It is a very good screen for less money than the Apple LED Cinema display. :)

8. geestring thread starter macrumors newbie

for some reason I had my heart set on a 17"... but I think if it's a 17" it won't be very portable if i do decide to bring it outside.

Now 15". Will I be satisfied with that since it is only 1.7" larger than a macbook? I could get a 15" and use it with an external monitor at home, but with the price of the monitor I'm reaching the price of a 17" pro.

Another thing is the choice between last gen's and this gen's.

9. Poirot818 macrumors regular

If you get the 17" MBP instead of the ACD, then get it through ebay. You can get the unibody 17" MBP from ebay for $2300 after cashback and ebates. There's no reason to pay $2300 for a refurb last generation 17" MBP.

10. geestring thread starter macrumors newbie

11. geestring thread starter macrumors newbie

what about the new 15" unibody with $100 discount for $2075 vs. a last gen 17" without led screen for $2179.

Which would you choose?

12. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Well some of the MBP last gen are LED-backlit. The 17" fullHD res one is and so is the 15". So I'd go that route and a matte screen.

13. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have seen 15.4" MBPs for $1540 for the $1999 model on places like Craig's List brand new in box. Or, if you want the 24" LED ACD, you really could buy a 13" aluminum MB refurbished for $1099 and the ACD refurbished for $799. I think the aluminum MB refurbished is the best value for any Mac right now.

Could keep your MB for portability, and buy a 24" LED ACD and Mac mini. Could buy a 24" iMac for $1499 and stick with your MB for portability.

Could buy 17" refurbished MBP from Apple with warranty and all for $1999 which cost more than $3k new with CPU and hi-res display. That is a great computer even though not unibody.

My favorite solution is a rev B MBA with 24" LED ACD. I think the LED ACD is far superior to any iMac or any similar display on the market and definitely best looking from Apple.

Any route that includes a 24" LED backlit ACD is a good route, as that display is amazing to look at everyday.

Good luck whichever route you go.

14. geestring thread starter macrumors newbie

"Parting with my Macbook Pro. Unit is in pristine condition without a scratch, dent, buff, nick, ding, dead pixel, etc.

Quick specs:

Model Identifier: Macbook Pro 3.1
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
    4GB RAM
    NVIDIA 8600GTm 256MB video card
    160GB SATA HD
    17 inch matt display
    OS X 10.5 Leopard with all system updates and Firmware patches
    Airport

Comes with:

Infrared remote control
    AC charger
    OS X 10.5 Install DVD

Pictures

Applecare on the unit until July 2010

Asking: $1300

"

Is $1300 canadian a good price? Should I get it?