Should I buy a core duo Blackbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. Bubbles, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Mr. Bubbles macrumors member

Mr. Bubbles

Here's my dilemma, I can afford a refurb white snata rosa 2.0ghz from the apple store, or 2.0ghz core duo blackbook off of ebay. The blackbook is under warranty until June, so I'm not to worried about the random shutdown issue.

I know that the sr book should perform a lot better, but I'm drawn to the blackbook for its looks. I'm not really that worried about performance, but I am concerned about heat issues and battery life. Can anyone tell me from experience how much cooler the newer books are? How much battery life would I be sacrificing by going with a core duo macbook? Thanks!

2. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

If you have the need for performance go for the Santa Rosa platform. You should keep checking the Apple refurbs also. I saw one yesterday that was the same as mine for $999.(Black 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo). Anyway I would go with the Santa Rosa. The SR from my experience are much cooler too. But thats based only on mine vs my sisters which is a 2.0ghz core 2 duo (early 2007).

3. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

The Core Duo macbook would not really get worse battery life, maybe like 20 minutes. I never thought that the Core Duos would have heat issues, my friend runs a Core Duo and it barely even gets warm. My SR Blackbook, on the other hand, fries my lap.

I'd go for whichever is cheaper, if it's the blackbook. Unless, of course, the whitebook is cheaper, in which case go for the blackbook.

4. priller macrumors regular

I'd go for the white SR, after 3 hours use mine is warm but not hot enough to feel it on your lap. The blackbook is going to be slower & have worse battery life, if it fails in 6 months you'll be left paying the big repair bill.

5. Mr. Bubbles thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Bubbles

I ended up getting a blackbook, but the one I got has over a year left on applecare and it's in great condition with maxed ram. I think I'll be happy with it?!

6. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Core 2 isnt that much faster than the original Core Duos, however it might have been worth it to get the SR for the updated GMA. You should enjoy your macbook though! its just as beautiful and Core Duos are far from pokey : )

7. Pacer69 macrumors member

Congrats, sounds like you're happy, good deal! Enjoy your new BB!