Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I have a friend who has a pretty shattered up 4S. It's still usable, she has a piece of tape over the screen to keep the pieces of glass together.

She's up for an upgrade in March. I'm thinking of buying this from her and paying Apple $200 for a repair.

Thoughts on this? It's a 16GB AT&T model. I'm with Sprint but keep an AT&T GoPhone in case I'm out somewhere and need service. Right now I'm using a 3G for this and not being on iOS 6 is a pain.

I'm feeling a little unethical about this, I guess having Apple fixing it, but that's their prices and I'm paying her for it, if she wants to. I did check Mac2Sell and it says I can resell it for $320 and that may be an option. I am being upfront with her on my plans.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
If you're comfortable doing the repairs (and they're not that are todo), you could easily have it fixed and looking nice for around $50 or so. :)

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've thought about that. From what I've read and seen the front glass is a lot more difficult to replace than the back.

Also, for resale value and personal peace of mind, I'd rather have a 100% refurbished Apple iPhone than one that's been damaged and has a 3rd party screen on it.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I kinda agree with you. :) For $200 repair cost, I say go for it; but then again, that depends on what you invest in it... You can get (supposedly) Apple OEM screens for it, and believe it or not, the screen isn't that hard to replace, if you're patient. The back is redonkulously easy.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I kinda agree with you. :) For $200 repair cost, I say go for it; but then again, that depends on what you invest in it... You can get (supposedly) Apple OEM screens for it, and believe it or not, the screen isn't that hard to replace, if you're patient. The back is redonkulously easy.

Yeah, it's the front. Pretty bad.

I'm guessing if I can flip it quick the $200 I'm out won't hurt much. Or I can sell the 3G I have to help cover that.

BTW, it's ridiculously slow compared to my 4S. I'm hoping there's still a market for it. It's in great condition though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.