should i buy a dGPU MBPr or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPersian, Oct 22, 2013.

1. iPersian macrumors regular

Im an architect and use alot of 3d using:

archicad, autocad, cinema 4d in addition to adobe.

in addition im planning to install windows via bootcamp in case i need 3ds and most importantly revit and microstation.

im wondering if anyone knows if i should use extra dow on a dGPU or the baseconfig with iGPU is enough.

any advice is welcome..

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

3D rendering can always use the help of a dGPU. If your budget allows it, I would definitely get it.

3. leman macrumors 604

Pending benchmarks nobody can tell for sure, but I know that at least for some professional video applications, iGPU is a better choice. For example Sony Vegas Pro (scroll down). Autocad would probably benefit from the dGPU, but it depends mostly on the complexity of your scenes.

4. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

i thought that rendering is a cpu while modering is helped by gpu..

if its certain that rendering tasks will be helped by dpgu then i have no choice than go for a dgpu, which will cost me 3600 dollards here in denmark.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Both machines with and without the dGPU are very capable machines. The ultimate question you'll have to ask yourself is the differences in rendering/modeling is worth that price difference or not.

If you're a professional who earns a living with this type of work, I would go for it. However, if you're a university student, I wouldn't.