Should i buy a Hackintosh from eBay? feedback please

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Aegis, May 23, 2008.

1. Aegis macrumors newbie

Hi, i just bumped into this ad on eBay:
    http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180246159037

I'm quite new at using a mac, but i get quite far with it. Kinda thinking of kicking my old Windows-rig out and buy something more like this.
    I mailed the guy and he said it's only for europe (PSU-thing). I like think the offer is not that bad, but what do you guys think of this? If i want to build a system myself, i'd have to buy parts at different webshops to get to that price (excluding shipping :() :s too much hassle or worth buying?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Firstly the power supply thing is nonsense most of them auto detect the voltage and switch to properly using whatever is connected to it. Second you can build yourself a way better system for less money as 899 Euro in USD equals $1417.09 according to Google.

Code:
    Basic MB OSX comp.  $100
    Case & PSU         $150
    4GB DDR2 800mhz   $90
    Q6600 retail G0    $250
    8800GT            $200
    500GB HD           $80
    DVD Burner         $30
    KB & Mouse         $100
    Leopard Retail    $150

Total          $ 1150

So you can save roughly $260 by building yourself does not include taxes though and some of my numbers are off on the high side so that would probably pay for the shipping of all of it, if you really need the firewire toss in an extra $30 for it. One more thing you may notice about that add is they specify the processors running in it by just saying @3ghz so it most likely is an over clocked processor and you don't get any clue as to the real model. In short if you are going to do it then do it yourself that way you get exactly what you paid for.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Psystar sells open computers here in the US.

www.psystar.com

You're better off with a real Mac though, unless you want to just hack...

Good luck...

4. Queso macrumors G4

Personally I don't see the point. If you want to spend your life messing about to get OSX working you may as well just install Linux, which has now matured into something that is easy to use as well as being stable.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ sounds like he wants to hack.

I did that back in the day - install different OS's. He may want an open computer with Leopard, and if that doesn't suite, sell Leopard and put Linux, Windows, etc. on it instead.

I think those "open" computers are kinda neat...

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Don't. If you must have a hackintosh, build one. But if you want a machine you can actually use every day I'd recommend getting a real Mac. Just my opinion, many people are now arguing that hackintoshes are 100% ready for the mainstream. I disagree.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes, if you want something with no support, no warranty, sounds like a vacuum cleaner, with sleep issues, lack of easy multi OS boot, and a host of problems.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i built a much better system for 900 bucks than the one hes selling and mine is a hackintosh

just buy all parts from newegg

9. Aegis thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, i live in Belgium. Hardware prices are higher in Europe (21% tax in belgium for example). Unfortunately, Newegg doesn't ship to Europe :-/ i'd be a happy man if they did :)

I mailed the guy and he says the proc. is a E8400, 3Ghz with 6MB cache. He seems to be legit... Apparently he has his own computerstore, but is trying to find out if there is a market in Europe for Hackintoshes before he tries to sell them in his store. So that way i do get an invoice in case something fails. And yes, he (or they) seem to be following Psystar. That's the reason a searched on eBay :eek:

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite, at the very least you might as well build your own.

11. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Well, if you believe the hardware price is fair, I don't see any reason why not, if you absolutely can't built your own. If you can, though, I agree with others who say it's best to do that.

12. SamoanDude macrumors regular