Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aegis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Hi, i just bumped into this ad on eBay:
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180246159037

I'm quite new at using a mac, but i get quite far with it. Kinda thinking of kicking my old Windows-rig out and buy something more like this.
I mailed the guy and he said it's only for europe (PSU-thing). I like think the offer is not that bad, but what do you guys think of this? If i want to build a system myself, i'd have to buy parts at different webshops to get to that price (excluding shipping :() :s too much hassle or worth buying?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hi, i just bumped into this ad on eBay:
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180246159037

I'm quite new at using a mac, but i get quite far with it. Kinda thinking of kicking my old Windows-rig out and buy something more like this.
I mailed the guy and he said it's only for europe (PSU-thing). I like think the offer is not that bad, but what do you guys think of this? If i want to build a system myself, i'd have to buy parts at different webshops to get to that price (excluding shipping :() :s too much hassle or worth buying?

Firstly the power supply thing is nonsense most of them auto detect the voltage and switch to properly using whatever is connected to it. Second you can build yourself a way better system for less money as 899 Euro in USD equals $1417.09 according to Google.

Code:
Basic MB OSX comp.  $100
Case & PSU         $150
4GB DDR2 800mhz   $90
Q6600 retail G0    $250
8800GT            $200
500GB HD           $80
DVD Burner         $30
KB & Mouse         $100
Leopard Retail    $150

Total          $ 1150

So you can save roughly $260 by building yourself does not include taxes though and some of my numbers are off on the high side so that would probably pay for the shipping of all of it, if you really need the firewire toss in an extra $30 for it. One more thing you may notice about that add is they specify the processors running in it by just saying @3ghz so it most likely is an over clocked processor and you don't get any clue as to the real model. In short if you are going to do it then do it yourself that way you get exactly what you paid for.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Personally I don't see the point. If you want to spend your life messing about to get OSX working you may as well just install Linux, which has now matured into something that is easy to use as well as being stable.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^^^ sounds like he wants to hack.

I did that back in the day - install different OS's. He may want an open computer with Leopard, and if that doesn't suite, sell Leopard and put Linux, Windows, etc. on it instead.

I think those "open" computers are kinda neat...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Don't. If you must have a hackintosh, build one. But if you want a machine you can actually use every day I'd recommend getting a real Mac. Just my opinion, many people are now arguing that hackintoshes are 100% ready for the mainstream. I disagree.

Aegis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2008
i built a much better system for 900 bucks than the one hes selling and mine is a hackintosh

just buy all parts from newegg

The thing is, i live in Belgium. Hardware prices are higher in Europe (21% tax in belgium for example). Unfortunately, Newegg doesn't ship to Europe :-/ i'd be a happy man if they did :)

I mailed the guy and he says the proc. is a E8400, 3Ghz with 6MB cache. He seems to be legit... Apparently he has his own computerstore, but is trying to find out if there is a market in Europe for Hackintoshes before he tries to sell them in his store. So that way i do get an invoice in case something fails. And yes, he (or they) seem to be following Psystar. That's the reason a searched on eBay :eek:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Personally I don't see the point. If you want to spend your life messing about to get OSX working you may as well just install Linux, which has now matured into something that is easy to use as well as being stable.

Quite, at the very least you might as well build your own.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
The thing is, i live in Belgium. Hardware prices are higher in Europe (21% tax in belgium for example). Unfortunately, Newegg doesn't ship to Europe :-/ i'd be a happy man if they did :)

I mailed the guy and he says the proc. is a E8400, 3Ghz with 6MB cache. He seems to be legit... Apparently he has his own computerstore, but is trying to find out if there is a market in Europe for Hackintoshes before he tries to sell them in his store. So that way i do get an invoice in case something fails. And yes, he (or they) seem to be following Psystar. That's the reason a searched on eBay :eek:

Well, if you believe the hardware price is fair, I don't see any reason why not, if you absolutely can't built your own. If you can, though, I agree with others who say it's best to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.