Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardmclarke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Las Palmas, Spain
I know there will be a new MacBook pro in June but my local Apple retailer is offering huge discounts on current models -18% discount for teachers + 100€ off if you bring in an old pc laptop for recycling. So i can get a brand new 1069€ MacBook pro for 776€.

Should I get it for that price or spend 300€ more for a new one? I am really undecided.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I know there will be a new MacBook pro in June but my local Apple retailer is offering huge discounts on current models -18% discount for teachers + 100€ off if you bring in an old pc laptop for recycling. So i can get a brand new 1069€ MacBook pro for 776€.

Should I get it for that price or spend 300€ more for a new one? I am really undecided.

Thats a great price. I have late a 2011 and its a fantastic machine. While the upgrade is coming out the CPU performance will be 5-10& so its not a huge jump. Plus the current gen machines have all the kinks worked out already and are perfectly stable. I would pull the trigger on this as your unlikely to get a lower price. Plus once the refresh is released its not going to render these machines obsolete. If you by this machine you will not regret it at all.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Get it, no question.

Get the HiRes display (Glossy or NonGlossy, you decide).

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Wait for sure. You never know.

This retina thing sounds AWESOME :D

But then again, could have issues (like the iPad 3 apparently which prompts people to return it 5 thousands times )

In other words. You never know (I already said that didn't I :) )

richardmclarke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Las Palmas, Spain
Thanks everyone

I could potentially save $400 USD. So is it worth the wait? I use photoshop heavily buy the only video editing is on iMovie and no gaming at all. Will I see any benefit from the rumored newer one? I don't mind waiting 5 extra seconds for photoshop to load. I'm edging towards buying it as it is more than I need. Still not 100% sure though.

Thanks for all the advice

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Everytime there is a refresh/upgrade there are those that immediately take advantage of the markdowns because that is exactly what they have been waiting for. They are either buying their first MBP or replacing an older model. They are not necessarily concerned about the latest and greatest because the perfectly capable outgoing model more than meets their needs.

Who's to say you will be lucky enough to still find the one you want available later at the discounted price? Tough decision but only you can make it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.