Should I buy a heavily discounted MacBook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richardmclarke, May 14, 2012.

  1. richardmclarke macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Location:
    Las Palmas, Spain
    #1
    I know there will be a new MacBook pro in June but my local Apple retailer is offering huge discounts on current models -18% discount for teachers + 100€ off if you bring in an old pc laptop for recycling. So i can get a brand new 1069€ MacBook pro for 776€.

    Should I get it for that price or spend 300€ more for a new one? I am really undecided.
     
  2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #2
    Thats a great price. I have late a 2011 and its a fantastic machine. While the upgrade is coming out the CPU performance will be 5-10& so its not a huge jump. Plus the current gen machines have all the kinks worked out already and are perfectly stable. I would pull the trigger on this as your unlikely to get a lower price. Plus once the refresh is released its not going to render these machines obsolete. If you by this machine you will not regret it at all.
     
  3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

    SDAVE

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nowhere
    #3
    Get it, no question.

    Get the HiRes display (Glossy or NonGlossy, you decide).
     
  4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Location:
    ladner cdn
    #4
    I would wait...

    -Ivy cpu
    -Retina Display
    -USB 3
    -Nvidia GT 650M
    -New Thinner Design

    worth the extra 300 heck ya!
     
  5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

    SDAVE

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nowhere
    #5
    It's Euros, not Canadian & US.
     
  6. mac jones macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2006
    #6
    Wait for sure. You never know.

    This retina thing sounds AWESOME :D

    But then again, could have issues (like the iPad 3 apparently which prompts people to return it 5 thousands times )

    In other words. You never know (I already said that didn't I :) )
     
  7. richardmclarke thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Location:
    Las Palmas, Spain
    #7
    Thanks everyone

    I could potentially save $400 USD. So is it worth the wait? I use photoshop heavily buy the only video editing is on iMovie and no gaming at all. Will I see any benefit from the rumored newer one? I don't mind waiting 5 extra seconds for photoshop to load. I'm edging towards buying it as it is more than I need. Still not 100% sure though.

    Thanks for all the advice
     
  8. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia.
    #8
    I'd wait. The new MBPs could prove to be irresistible and if they aren't you'll get an even better deal on the same superseded MBP.
     
  9. user418 macrumors 6502a

    user418

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    #9
    Everytime there is a refresh/upgrade there are those that immediately take advantage of the markdowns because that is exactly what they have been waiting for. They are either buying their first MBP or replacing an older model. They are not necessarily concerned about the latest and greatest because the perfectly capable outgoing model more than meets their needs.

    Who's to say you will be lucky enough to still find the one you want available later at the discounted price? Tough decision but only you can make it.
     

Share This Page