should i buy a mac pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by roletti2007, Aug 7, 2011.

  1. roletti2007 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    #1
    i'm looking to buy a mac pro, my primary usage for it would be adobe CS5 photoshop illustrator and indesign, also i'm gonna run Xcode. aside from that i'll burn a few movies but i can do that on the macbook air i have. i guess also the reason i wanna get the tower is cause i can upgrade it with pretty much anything later down the line. i mean the current mac pro will be good for a long time to come. anyway, please share your thoughts thanks
     
  2. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #2
    Do you earn a living with the machine, or is it a hobby?

    I ask, as it's going to be some time yet before there's a new model (looks like ~ March of 2012), so if you're earning with it, it's probably in your best interest to go ahead and buy now. But if not (you can wait), then you have the time to do so, and see if the next revision is worth getting, or get the current model at a discount (done to move existing stocks, usually through 3rd party retailers or listed as Refurbished systems on Apple's site).
     
  3. roletti2007 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    #3
    i do have projects i want to do but it wouldn't be to make a living with. i guess you can say its a hobby yes it will help me in my work down the road though once i learn the software i wanna use.
     
  4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #4
    I find it hard to believe Apple will leave the Mac Pro without TB for another 6 months when all other Mac's now have it.
     
  5. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #5
    The MP is not a consumer system, and has to wait for sufficient parts. Unfortunately, as those parts are more complicated, they take longer to complete the design phases and get shipped vs. the consumer versions that are used in other systems.

    So comparatively speaking, there is a delay. But we're also talking about 1155 pins for the consumer models, and 2011 pins the upcoming Sandy Bridge E5 Xeons (next parts to be used in a MP).

    As per adding TB prior to a CPU update, it would be financially foolish. So they'll wait to add it to a normal update cycle, if it's actually coming (doesn't have the importance in a desktop with slots vs. laptops or AIO's without them).
     
  6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

    CaptainChunk

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #6
    Unless you find yourself needing to go back and forth between a laptop or AIO and a Mac Pro with TB storage, there's really nothing appreciable TB adds right now (in my opinion, anyway) to a desktop workstation with PCIe slots.

    A SATA-6G or RAID card is easy to add to a Mac Pro if you need high-speed external storage. As far as I know, there are no TB-enabled desktop workstations available from ANY manufacturer yet.

    To me, TB makes a lot more sense on machines (laptops and AIOs) that have no external interface faster than FireWire.
     
  7. Amethyst macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #7
    I believe we will see next mac pro around 1 month before official intel sandy bridge-e launch in the October.
     

Share This Page