Should i buy a Macbook Air 13" ? please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Moneymiike420, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Moneymiike420 macrumors regular

Moneymiike420

Hey all new user here,Just bought my first laptop,and its a pretty nice HP for 699$$ i was at the breaking point of getting a 13" MBA but decided to go with this one with 8gb ram,beats audio etc. I mainly wanted a laptop for streaming netflix,music,web browsing. I know i dont really need the mac software but 48 hours in with my hp theres already SLIGHT hiccups when loading certain things. My question is do you think its worth it to go for the air,or pro? cd drive really isnt a factor and the mba is so light and beautiful looking. I bought my first iphone when the 4s came out and will never go back to anything else. The Appple tech at best buy said the same thing about macbooks lol.Im just looking for some reassurance as to which one would be better suited for me.i know the mbp has a better processor then the mBA if im not mistaken..if anyone would like to throw in some input id highly appreciate it thanks so much.

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

The HP is probably better suited to your uses, but it will fall apart in 366 days (one day after the warranty expires). HPs have lots of features at a good price but the build quality is absolute crap, the drivers never work, and getting something fixed means waiting 3 weeks with no computer while they replace parts. There is a reason Apple stock is at 606 and HP stock is at 19.30

Plus:

http://www.theonion.com/video/hp-on-that-cloud-thing-that-everyone-else-is-talki,28789/

IMO, the Mac will be worth the extra cost.

3. Moneymiike420 thread starter macrumors regular

Moneymiike420

LOL @ the 366 days,i would not doubt it.i agree with u the build quality of anyhing (NOT made by apple) is absolute crap including every cell phone out there which is made out of plastic and iphone is glass mostly..the macbooks feel so solid i really should have just shelled out the 1200 for it there,i already exchanged a laptop for the HP best buy is gonna think im a crook bringing this back for the MB now lol...one more question please cause i dont wanna make another thread,do you think the base model 128 GB will be fine for me i know that the hdd isnt changable if im not mistaken...i just dont know if i should grab the MBP 13,or MBA

4. stchman macrumors 6502a

I've never been a big fan of HP computers.

If you want a Windows computer then my recommendation is the Asus Zenbook Prime. The Asus model is quality built and solid.

Also, if you have the ability, uninstall Windows 7 and but Ubuntu on the Zenbook.

5. Moneymiike420 thread starter macrumors regular

Moneymiike420

im not a huge fan of HP neither,and i think its time for me to convert to apple full fledged after having my iphone4s since oct.Ive been floating around for a little i keep seeing everyone having the base 13" MBA with 8gb ram. Im assuming everyone upgraded from 4gb ? i only see the 4gb on bestbuy.com and apple.com or am i missing something? i think 128GB will be plenty of space for me as i dont plan on adding that 30GB windows Program i forgot the name i just wiki'd it a few mins ago on a diff computer ,but any help on that question would be appreciatedthanks in advance

----------

crap just noticed u can add it for 100$ on apple.com...best buy will Probably charge like 300 dollars for that -_-

6. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

Best buy isn't (and might never be) carrying any 8 GB models as far as I know

7. Moneymiike420 thread starter macrumors regular

Moneymiike420

yes your a 100% right its not on the website,only apploe.com or the HP site,and amazon im guessing.now im in a dilemma i have to return @ bestbuy if i grabbed the 4gb do u think it will be snappy enough ? and are MBA's memory all soddered in therE??

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

We have the same experience with HP, horrible.

Buy the Air, you'll love it!

9. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

Yes the MBA's memory is soldered so you need to choose what you think will be sufficient for your needs. Many people are fine with 4 GB of RAM but it's really dependent on your usage patterns.

10. marc79 macrumors newbie

if money is not a big concern , just get a 8GB ram.

as for the space, its depends on your budget. if you're budget is tight, just get the 128GB SSD, and later stage add a external HDD or NAS server :D

Personally i got myself a 8GB RAM, 256SSD :p

11. Vandefilm macrumors regular

Same here. I was waiting for the iMac but i bought a PC last year (i lived underground, didn't know apple existed at the time :eek:) and therefore have a display and also have an external HDD. So I bought the MBA i5, 8 gig of RAM and 256GB SSD. I'm gonna get it somewhere next week, im so excited, my first OSX experience.