Should I buy a Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by belz123, May 15, 2018.

?

Should I buy a discounted Macbook Air or wait to buy after the WWDC 2018?

1. Wait

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Buy the newest Macbook Air

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. belz123 macrumors newbie

I sold my mid 2013 Macbook Air a couple months ago and have been waiting for the WWDC 2018 to see if Apple unveils any new laptops. However, I keep reading about the butterfly keyboard issue in Macbooks and Macbook Pro computers, which scare me...but I am hoping they update/change the keyboard if they release any new Macbooks. Let me say that I don't really need one for anything more than the internet and email, so I don't really need the best. However, I had my Macbook Air for almost five years and am ready for something different. I have almost $1500 saved, but considering the keyboard issue in newer models, should I just go with a MA at Best Buy at a pretty good discount or should I wait to see what they release at the WWDC? Thanks for the help.

2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Wait for WWDC. Even if you don't need high specs, it'll be supported for a longer time if you buy it when it's released.

The MBA is really due for a refresh or to be replaced by a lower cost MacBook. You'll regret buying it if they release an affordable laptop with retina display in 3 weeks.

Also, you can still buy the previous models at a potentially better discount if you don't like the new ones.

3. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

WWDC is right around the corner, I would wait until then. One question though, if all you want a laptop for is Internet and e-mail, why not just an iPad?

4. Macdctr macrumors 6502

At this point just wait for the WWDC and see what Apple has to say before making your decision.

5. 0002378 Suspended

The current MBA model will be more than enough for your needs (my friend just bought one and it is awesome in every way). I'd just buy this discounted version.

6. Yvan256 Suspended

Yvan256

As Glmnet1 said, wait until WWDC to see if anything is announced.

Worst case scenario, you're going to buy the 2017 MacBook Air at a discount anyway after WWDC if they're discontinued.

Best case scenario, they're going to release updated MacBook Airs with the same keyboards but faster CPUs and maybe a slightly better display.

7. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

i wouldn’t expect a discount on the MBA if it is discontinued. When the 11”MBA was discontinued, there were no sales. Stores just sold their in-store inventory at MSRP.

8. belz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't type well on phones and iPads and I have documents and things backed up on an external hard drive I'm pretty sure I need a laptop for. Plus, I would rather have a Macbook than an Ipad for really no reason other than I prefer Macbooks (laptops in general, but I am loyal to Apple products).

9. Notario macrumors newbie

The new butterfly keyboards are useless for actual work purposes. Garbage.

Get a MacBook Air, which has a usable keyboard. Great machine.

If Apple stops making the MacBook Air, it might as well stop making laptops.

10. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

I don’t think they’ll release new MBAs during WWDC as it’s not important enough. You’d expect to see them announced a couple of weeks beforehand to get them out of the way, if they were coming. But, crickets.

11. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

B&H Photo has pretty good discounts right now on most of their advertised MacBook Air configurations. I haven’t seen that before. One can only speculate.

12. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I got my new MBA a couple of weeks ago - coming from a dying (or dead) 2012 MBP. Other than my old machine dying I was concerned that any new model would be following the new Apple model and only have USB-C ports and thus I'd be doing the dongle dance which I didn't want. I'm liking the MBA - works great for me - much faster than my old machine and so far fully meets my need.