should i buy a macbook for college?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlizzardWolf, Aug 8, 2007.

1. BlizzardWolf macrumors member

im leaving like next week..... but dont know if i should spend $1300 for a white macbook... i just need a laptop for word, internet, listening to music pretty much

but maybe i should wait for the upgrades... or should i just wait for next year?

the thing is, i dont feel like i really need it because i could bring my desktop pc

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I say you should bring your desktop and wait for Leopard.

If you really need a new computer and iPod you could take advantage of the promo now.

3. BlizzardWolf thread starter macrumors member

so is leopard coming out in October?

whats so good about leopard?

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yes it is. Here is the feature set.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I'd recommend a refurbished Macbook. Inspected twice and any issues are fixed. You're pretty much guaranteed to get a flawless Macabook. In case some of your classes have Windows software, Parallels can solve that :D:apple:

6. BlizzardWolf thread starter macrumors member

do you think the they will upgrade the macbook with leopard in october?

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Most likely, yes. But it'd still be cheaper to buy a refurb and Leopard separately (depends on the model of the MB).

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yes. Buy one.

You don't want a desktop at college. The freedom to be able to go around anywhere on campus to do work and play is great.

I guarantee you probably won't see more than a couple of people (if even that many, I had 1 last year) on your dorm floor with a desktop. Just about everyone will have a laptop.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're talking to someone who has lived in computer labs on campus. I don't see the need for a laptop when there are plenty of labs open to collaborate in.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Computer labs aren't open at 2am. Also, the labs at my school are almost always full with commuters who didn't bring their laptops with them.

Laptops are the only way to go if you live on campus. They're much more convenient and take up less room in your already small and cramped dorm room.

Desktops leave you stuck in your room (or stuck walking across campus to a lab) if your roommate is sleeping or doing something in the room. If you have a laptop, you can just take it to the quiet study area (all dorms have them pretty much) and do your work. Additionally, with your laptop you'll always have your work with you if you need it.

Plus, taking notes in class is much easier on a laptop (especially if you're like me and type much faster than you can write). Plus having searchable notes rocks.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A university should have at least one 24 hour lab on campus itself. Most dormitories have labs in them that are 24 hour as well.

Worried about having you files? Universities use network mounting home directories.

Notes in class is entirely up to preference. I've done it before but I find myself distracted by the fact that you have your personal machine there to play on instead of paying attention.