Should I buy a Macbook now or wait until I have enough for a Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Hi all. I finally got together enough money to afford a white refurbished Macbook. I'm very excited that I could buy whenever, but I don't want the excitement let me make the wrong decision. I will be able to afford the Pro in about a month or so. My uses are basic, but I am used to having a larger laptop than the Macbook. This new computer will be my main one. After visiting the Apple store I have made a list of the things that I like about each one to help you get a better understanding of my priorities...

Macbook...
    -price
    -keyboard
    -stays cooler than the pro

Macbook Pro...
    -bigger screen
    -better speakers

I appreciate all of the help. Thank you.

2. quasarlibero macrumors newbie

It depends on what you need. I think only you can made a decision. If you need to move and to trip with the computer, take the Macbook. If you need a computer to stay in your home and if you want a computer more powerfull than a Macbook, so take the Macbook Pro.

(Sorry for bad english, every corrections will be appreciated)

3. bart rijksen macrumors regular

What will you be doing on it? gaming? than the pro. If just basic tasks, internet, itunes, word processing etc, than the macbook would be sufficient

4. magid macrumors 6502

magid

If you think you could use a bigger screen then I would def wait and get a pro. Otherwise the mb is a very capable machine.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Go Pro. You just need to wait a month and with the Pro's specs and your basic needs, it will be solid main machine much longer

6. fredr500 macrumors regular

If it's just screen size and speakers...

Why not buy an external monitor (22" can be had for ~$200-$250) and a nice set of speakers, a full size keyboard and a mouse you like? Plug them in and keep the macbook closed, but you have the large screen and a good keyboard/mouse. When you need to go mobile, unplug 4 things (2 if you use a USB hub and USB speakers) and you are smaller and lighter on the road.

Or go Bluetooth and use a wireless keyboard/mouse and have less connections.

This is what I do with my work-supplied PC notebook and it is a great solution.

That is if you really only want the pro for larger screen and better speakers.

Fred

7. patmort02 macrumors member

If you think you can hold out long enough for the pro, definitely do it. I opted for a macbook because I needed to run windows for school and I'm regretting it now. I used to have a powerbook and there was just something about that computer that gave me the sense of prestige. The aluminum casing, backlit keyboard and larger screen really made me feel good about my computer.

Ultimately it's up to you though. Think about how much you actually need a new computer right now.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmm....

You can buy a decent monitor and MUCH better speakers for the price difference between a MB and MBP.

However, the MBPs are wicked fast. If you game at all, MBP all the way.

9. KHook321 macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook because of the vast price difference and I do not regret it one bit. Sure the MBP is a beautiful machine, but unless you actually need all that power, I personally don't believe it's worth it.

I bought the low-end MB with the 2.1 GHz Penryn, threw in 4 GB ram for $75, and it is awesome. It's quick and does everything I need. HD videos look beautiful on the screen. I'm actually surprised that I don't mind the smaller screen.

10. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I think because you are considering the laptop to be a desktop replacement, I would recommend waiting for a Pro.

Your needs may be basic now, but you never know what the future can hold.

11. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I am in the same boat. Black MacBook vs. MacBook Pro. Honestly I can't decide. Its like I can pay $400 more for a silver case, 1.7" bigger screen, light up keyboard, a better video card, and negative 50gb of hd space.

I don't know.

When I bought my PowerBook G4 12" it was that or the 14" iBook. The iBook had in some ways better specs, but I ended up going with the PowerBook and have been more than happy with it.

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Get the machine you WANT. If you want the Pro more then don't settle for something less i.e. MacBook. Good things come to those who wait.

13. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

For basic use like myself and the OP, I don't think the MB is really "less". I think it is a really different form factor. I like the MB Pro better for a home computer. I like the MB for traveling.

14. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

I was in the same situation last year.
    I like the Macbook because of the price.
    But, I liked the screen size and the other features that the MBP had.
    I eventually got the MBP and didn't regret it :p
    I say if you can afford the Macbook Pro, then get it. It's more powerful and
    you never know when you will be using that raw power :D
    Better to be safe than sorry!

15. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

^^Hey same situation here.

I got the powerbook 12"
    macbook 1.83 core duo
    and now just got a macbook pro 2.16 core 2 duo.

I thought I would really like the macbook but it just didn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong..it was fast and fine...but the flair and beauty, power and size of the mbp as a desktop replacement was too nice. It took me quite a while to get the mbp, but it was worth the wait.

16. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I guess I'm one of the few who won't push a MBP. If you do mostly internet, movies, chatting and light photo work, a MB is going to fit your needs for a lot less money. If you do intensive games, get the MBP. But I always feel bad for people I see that buy more computer than they'll ever need/use because someone who might put it to use told them to buy it. Honestly, I want to buy a smaller computer to travel with just because a 15.4" computer is a hassle in airports. Just my 2 cents on it.

17. Tosser macrumors 68030

I'm an MBP-owner myself – had to get that out of the way.

Anyway, as always, caveat emptor, and some will disagree.
    Keyboard:
    I find the keyboard on the MBP nicer to write on than the MB. It could be a preference thing, but if you write a lot, I'd say the MBP has a better keyboard than the MB. But then again, a thinkpad has a much better keyboard than any Mac. Worth the extra dough? Could be, depending what you need it for.

Speakers?
    Who cares. Even if the MBP has much "better" speakers than the MB, they're both crap. It's just a matter of one of them being more crap than the other. That's how it goes on any and all laptops. Certainly not worth the extra money.

Screen, glossy or matte?
    Although a blank screen will always impress when watching videos or pictures, it will be tiresome in the long run. I could live with a stationary computer having a glossy screen, as I could set it up, so there would be no reflections. Not so with a laptop. Even if you don't do video or photo editing, this has to be considered. I prefer the picture to be as close to the original as possible, with no "saturation" caused by the glossy screen. But then again, when I listen to music I never use an equalizer, and I'm quite happy with my (audio) monitors and monitor headphones.
    Btw. I think you can get a "screen protector" or something, that will make your glossy screen into a matte. At least someone around here said so.

Screen real estate:
    This is something to think about. But it all depends on what you will be using it. I use mine for internet, mail and whatever other average people do (we're all average one way or the other, right?), but I also use it for editing (audio, mostly), so I like the extra real estate. Again, it depends what you will be using it for.

"staying cooler":
    Unless you get one of the duds, even though the MBP will be warmer to the touch, the MB's insides will be warmer (it's because of the alu case).

Express card and other i/o:
    There are simply more ports, including an expresscard slot on the MBP.

Build quality:

The MBP seems to suffer greatly from shoddy build quality. The MB not so much.

Now, with all that said (sorry about the length of this post), unless you actually will be needing any of those things the MBP offers, don't buy it. It's a waste of money.
    When I say "need", I don't mean "want", or "would be great to have, just in case", or "It would be so great, if I could find a use for that expresscard slot or something".

Conclusion: All in all, I don't think you have a "need" for the MBP, because if you did, you'd already know that you wouldn't be able to do your work (or hobby) on the MB without suffering in useability. Who gives a hoot about "prestige" (as someone did)? If anything, you buying the RIGHT computer for your needs shows that you're not an idjit when it comes to money.

At least that's my take on it.

18. weedy macrumors newbie

Some points.

1. I wouldn't advise going white macbook - it's longevity is quite poor compared to black macbook and macbook pro. It is made of rather soft plastic, which wears much quicker and also it gets look of being dirty and old quickly being white.

2. Black macbook is just inches away in cost from MBP, which in turn is steps ahead of macbook in performance, longevity and usability (big screen being a good plus). Macbook pro is essentially a machine you can safely work on for at least 3 years, if you take AppleCare at the end of first year.

From usage aspect the only drawback of macbook pro is that it's like a pound heavier and bigger, but it's still pretty light.

Ahh and yes, pro has a matte screen, which is better than glossy having no glare.