Should I buy a MacBook now ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xxxamazexxx, Nov 18, 2010.

1. xxxamazexxx macrumors member

I want to buy a new MacBook as soon as possible this holiday and it seems like an update is just around the corner. However, it is important that I get hold of it in the next 1-2 months to complete all the school work by January next year. That is, if the update is gonna take place, say, next February, I will definitely buy the current MacBook tomorrow.

Please share your view of whether I should hold my breath until Christmas, or if the update is even worth the wait :).

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

The macbook was updated not even a month ago dude.. there wont by any kind of update in february or around the corner for that matter.

3. xxxamazexxx thread starter macrumors member

I mean the white MacBook (not the MacBook Air). I know Apple is never going to lump multiple updates into a quarter, but it has passed the typical time for a MacBook update (5-6 months) so it isn't a wild hope that an update is coming soon.

4. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

The macbook air's are the new Macbooks

White model isnt getting an upgrade.

5. engram macrumors newbie

The white unibody is still a few days shy of the average update cycle length. The Air may be the stylistic direction Apple takes all folding portables at some undetermined point in the future. That undetermined point is probably not coming this year or next.

Anyone who gives you a firm timeline, or a firm yes or no, for the next update of any Apple product without hard evidence is blowing sunshine. That being said, it seems many are guessing sometime between now and April 2011.

6. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

I was in your situation. I just bought mine yesterday. I just thought If it meets all my current needs I should buy it without worrying about a future update that is uncertain.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You sound like you need it so go out and buy it. My usual advice is to buy it if you need it and if not wait for an update. It sounds like you need it.

8. perfectshadows macrumors member

I think the white macbook will be around for a while as its the most obvious entry point into mobile apple computers

Its only £849 vs and 13" MBA at £1099 I know there is the 11" mba I just consider that too small and not equal to that of the mb in form factor.

Mba has a slower c2d, i know it has flash memory though but still u can put an ssd in a MacBook

Personally I'd buy it, i am looking at one for my GF as it fits her needs.

9. xxxamazexxx, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

xxxamazexxx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. It looks like an update is not coming anytime this year, so yeah, I'll get it soon :eek:

Hey :D So how is it so far ? I'm wondering if 2GB ram is enough (for light use including web-browsing, listening to music, MSOffice-ing, etc.)

10. molala macrumors 6502a

The last update was last May, I think. I don't think it will be updated before January. So you should get it now.

11. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

It works perfectly fine. I plan to upgrade to 4GB RAM in the near future. The only thing is that it hangs sometimes using a torrent client called Transmission when I have a bunch of torrents open. But I used it on linux and it also hangs. I havent used it for gaming and havent installed windows yet so I cant speak for that...

But 2GB should be more than enough for what you plan to use it. Keep the 2GB in there and only buy the 4GB later if you see that it hangs when you use it.

One thing that concerned me before I bought it was flash but it loads flash without problems and it doesnt get hot either. I love how compared to my previous windows laptops is that it is very quiet.

12. xxxamazexxx thread starter macrumors member

My current computer is like a furnace ... but this ain't a place to b**** about our pre-Mac comps so I won't :eek:

Just ordered it a few hours ago. It struck me that Apple is so generous, giving substantial discount to students without requiring any proof ... which means that everybody can just click the button and get the student discount. I'm getting a free printer as well. Altogether the promotions drive down the price into about $800, an unthinkable price for such a computer.

People often think that Apple is all about luxurious ornamental products, but I think they are far from and high above that. The products prove their value themselves, and Apple gives away a lot of goodies (think the Mac + iPod touch promotion, that's just insane).

13. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

I personally went with Amazon. $150 instantly in my pocket. Macbook $950 with free shipping (took only two days) and I didnt have to pay $100 in sales tax.

Well have fun! Im enjoying mine. I plan to go to Apples free workshops to learn more on how to use it. If it interests you, heres the link: http://www.apple.com/retail/workshops/