Should I buy a macbook or an iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PimpsMac, Nov 29, 2007.

1. PimpsMac macrumors newbie

I have a PC for gaming, and I'd never in a trillion years buy a mac for gaming(cause that's just stupid, right?). My college major is geographical information systems, and I'm also gonna be taking web design courses(enough to fulfill a certificate, but just using the classes as electives).

Looking at the specs, ok yeah, the iMac has the bigger screen(but I have a really nice LCD), it's got a bigger HD(I've got an extra external HD, plus I could always upgrade the HD inside the macbook), and it's got a better GPU.

But how much better is the GPU gonna matter running dreamweaver and photoshop? Plus I'll be adding 4gb of aftermarket ram(Samsung or Micron), so I really think the 2.0 SR Macbook with the new X3100 could compete nicely with the low end iMac. The new X3100 uses 144mb of ram, and I figure if I have 4GB of ram plus the X3100, I could even decently run some 3D apps. Plus I have the option to take my work with me on the go should the need ever arise.

Am I missing anything else to sway this decision?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you need to be portable or not?

The answer to that question gives you your answer.

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

From what you've said, you should go ahead and get the MacBook especially as you've already got an external monitor and it's fairly easy to change the hard disk drive in a MacBook if you ever need to in the future.

Even if you mostly have it plugged in and on your desk you'll still have the option to take it with you when you need to and hence enjoy the advantages of a small, portable computer while still having a pretty powerful computer in terms of processing power and memory.

As for the graphics card, games will obviously suck but as you've already got a PC for that purpose it's no problem! Also from what I understand Photoshop and Dreamweaver don't make significant use of the graphics card and are more processor dependant.

4. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I agree...
    the only question that is of interest here actually is if you need to be mobile with your mac or not.

5. panda macrumors regular

way to go

sell the pc.

buy the iamc and the ibook.

you'll be in heaven.
    :)

6. PimpsMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'd only get around $200 from the PC considering it's almost 3 years old. Plus I just did a few cheap upgrades to extend the life of it(X2 processor on existing 939 mobo, 2GB ram, new Lian Li case, new 19" LCD).

I think having a nice gaming rig and a mabook is a nice combo if you ask me.

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

The x3100 isn't all that better than the gma 950. It is just integrated graphics. For what you're doing, you won't notice anything, but the macbook would be blown away compared to the low end iMac in regards to 3d apps.

8. kpritcha13 macrumors member

Gis

So your major is GIS....are you planning to install ARCMap or just use it on your windows machine? If your planning to use it on your mac (in windows obviously) I would go with the Imac and upgrade to 4gb ram. That program is a resource hog.

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Personally for me, I'm out flatting whilst a uni, got a MacBook for study, and a games console for my gaming (Nintendo Wii) - alot easier for all concerned.