Should I buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I am geared toward college very soon, and am very interested in a Mac laptop. I will be doing LOTS of music editing and production, some movie editing, and lots of media/ web usage. I'll have about 145 GB of my favorite media on it as well, so I'll need lots of hard drive space for that plus more.

So I have come up with two different variations of laptops I am looking into (I have the money, just wanting to make sure in a few weeks time). I will also be using the least RAM possible since I will be upgrading it via 3rd Party RAM that is much cheaper (probably 4 GB total, or 2 2GB sticks). These are probably what I am going to buy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135

The specs are listed below (I will be using a student discount).

MacBook (White):
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
    250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    Superdrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Price: $1401.00

MacBook Pro:
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    Accessory Kit

Price: $2001.00

I am waiting for ANY updates that come in my way from Apple (since I've heard the MBP is overdue from updates). I have money for either one, but I really want to prioritize my needs. I kinda want to save money, but it depends all on the needs. What do YOU think?

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

if you have the money go for the pro, it sounds like you may need the graphics card if you will be video editing

3. David G. macrumors 6502a

That sentence right there screams MBP.

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

The pro would serve you better for video editing but you should also strongly consider factoring in the AppleCare for 3 years, and thats pricer for the MBP.

5. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Macbook Pro. The screen alone makes the MBP worth it for me. Every time I use a Macbook I can't stand how crappy the screen quality is in comparison.

6. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yea the resolution of a 17 inch in 15 inch, and res of 20 inch in 17 inch

MBP!!!

(but wait a month or 2 for penryn if you can)

(and dont get glossy...)

7. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

Like the rest of the other posts. I would say go for the MBP if you got the money! :D

8. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright. MBP it is! Thanks everyone!

I WILL wait for the updates to come as soon as they appear on the Apple website. If so, I really hope to maybe shorten the price tag just slightly for an Apple Care Plan (3 years enough?) with the same specs that SHOULD be cheaper as higher specs come for the same price as the top of the line are now. Thanks for all the help.

So some questions on the Pro...

How long does the battery last in terms of long- term usage? When is a good time to replace the battery?

I have also read up on the RAM upgrades, so I'll fork out $80 or 2 2 GB sticks if and when I feel it is necessary. Do RAM costs go down as time passes too?

One last thought- is a MBP a good investment for college? I know how expensive it is, and I would hate to see it an eye- opener for any thieve out there if I will be in a dorm or after class hanging around. It will be with me AT ALL TIMES, but it is Apple, and the Pro is an extra bonus. Is the regular life expectancy for a MBP like 5 years before you begin to see needs for replacement, upgrades, or repairs?

Once again, thanks for all the help. I'm glad I found MacRumors! XD

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Heh... your asking alot of questions that, in reality, your the only one that can answer. The best I can do is share my experience in relation to your questions.

I work as a network administrator, i've ran servers from my room when I was in HS, and I did alot of HD video editing on a desktop editing station (which I miss). When I moved into the dorms, that really wasn't an option (this past August), so I needed something that I knew could take alot of stress (the only time its literally not on is when I'm sleeping, since i'm working on my computer science work during the day, or working on something for my job etc). It hasn't crapped out on me yet though.

Theft is a crime of opprotunity. Most people can't tell the difference in a macbook pro or a emachines laptop (if they even make those) in terms of price/ specs. They just see shiny things == money. I've left mine in my room maybe twice during the duration of my stay and even then it was chained to my bed via the little lock hole thing (which I greatly recommend).

I tote my Macbook Pro around (which i've upgraded to 4 gb's and going to update the hard drive to a 7200 rpm model) in a huge ,but safe and sturdy Pelican 1490 case, in which I store various accessories ("Macbook Pro" / Apple logo on both sides of the case), but people know I really don't play when it comes to electronics. Not saying i'm invincible, but i've owned my fair share of electronics over the years, and the only thing that's been stolen from me was a Gameboy Color, way back in the day :).

My battery lasts for however long I tell it to. You can change the power profiles, so when I know i'll be gone for a while, i'll put it on low consumption, turn off the wireless, and lower the brightness , and I get about 3 hours and some change (although I still do heavy usage).
    If i'm gaming or downloading things via newsgroups courtesy of campus wide wifi, i'll set it down , put it on high performance , and let the battery whittle away. Usually i plan to be back in my dorm or to an available power outlet soon.

5 Years...this thing is sweet but that might be pushing it. Then again, I always recycle aging hardware for server use. I'm turing an old pIII 900 mhz tower into my home made "time capsule" so I can leave my external HD's at home and have wireless print/internet/backups in my room.

Hope this helps.