Should i buy a macbook or wait for a big update ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sablet, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Sablet macrumors newbie

im gonna buy a macbook , i was thinking on the black version, question is , theres gonna be a big update soon? , i dont feel like spending 2 grand since thats the price in my country , and next month a new version of the coming out hehe, so does anyone knows if theres a big update for the macbooks coming?

thanks in advance

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Paix247 macrumors 6502

If it would upset you to have Apple update only a week or two after you buy a new MacBook, you should wait. A new update is always around the corner.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can wait forever, but no matter when you buy one, a new one will never be more than six months away.

edit: I think I found a new sig! This'll replace the old one...

when it's time to go, it won't matter whether you went with the midline model or the high end.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

If we knew, we would be working at Apple. Then we'd get fired for posting the dates/revisions of the updates.

6. Sablet thread starter macrumors newbie

mm

yeah what u recommend , should i get it? im planning on buying it on next moday, when quad core notebooks coming out? hehe

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Keep on waiting. Wait forever. That's the only way to be sure Apple won't release something newer than what you buy--by never buying anything.

8. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

The MacBooks are pretty well sorted out now.
    Mainly avoid the new technology upon release, that's where most problems seem to occur.

Whichever MacBook you buy be sure to max out the ram.
    I just bought a white 120G model which seems like a good value.

9. Aranince macrumors 65816

We know an update will probably be around April/May/June time frame. So if you need it, buy it now. If you can wait till then...wait. I'm waiting in hopes of backlight keyboard, Alu case, LED screen, and Multitouch track pad. And because these technologies are in the MBA...they really shouldn't have issues.

10. stomer macrumors 6502a

Unless there's a potential feature in a future Mac that you absolutely could not do without, then I'd say just buy now.

1. We have no idea what features future products may or may not have. A new MacBook might have multi-touch, or it might not. Apple haven't confirmed anything.
    2. We have no idea when an update will occur. It might be this quarter or it could be the last quarter of this year.
    3. Regardless of anything else, you will never escape obsolescence.

11. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Wait until next year. There will be a better Mac coming.:)

12. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The MB shouldn't be updated for a while, the next update should be the MBP, and as for quad-core processors, if they do come, they'll come for the MBP a long time before the MB.

13. crazy legs macrumors member

crazy legs

I also am in the market to buy my first mac. I been waiting for 2 years. I am now going to wait some more I think its the best thing to do. If you can hold out. From what I have read it seems like its going to be worth it.

14. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

LoL. Keep waiting.:)

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think they will be updated anytime soon. If it fits your needs now and you need it, then buy it. Even if Apple releases an update afterwards, your machine will still do everything you need it for.

16. gettingmy1stmac macrumors member

Macbook w/Penryn Processor

Look for these in May of 2008. It will be worth the wait. The updates for the macbook typically come in November or May...since May is next on the list, look for the macbook to be upgraded to the 2.3 and 2.4 ghz penryn chips with 3mb of l2 memory.

17. Sablet thread starter macrumors newbie

woo

just readed somewhere about the new mac book pros that will be out soon , will buy mac pro after all , supposed to be out in 1-2 weeks , woo :)