Should I buy a MacBook pro 13" or a air.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michiel1996, Sep 23, 2011.

1. michiel1996 macrumors newbie

michiel1996

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hello,
    I am looking for a new computer I want to edit some video in fcp X and do some Photoshop and dreamweaver CS5. I don't know what to pick; the 13" MBP 2.7 ghz with a 128 gb ssd or the maxed out MBA 1.8 i7. If the 1.8 i7 is enough I would prefer the MBA.

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Here's a tip, don't get the SSD option. If you want an SSD, buy a good one with a lot more storage--I'd recommend Optibay so you can have 2 drives in your mac. That said, Macbook Air's can't use the Optibay and are a lot less powerful than a pro. I'd recommend a Pro for the apps that you're going to use.

3. JamesHP macrumors regular

I had the same decision to make this week; in the end I went with the Pro because it's my only machine and the Air is a bit limited in terms of ports. I did go for the base i5 model but I'm loving it so far. A fantastic machine.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

The i7 in the 13" is a rather potent chip if you need the power.

If you don't need the power (or the other ports) than the Air is a nicer machine (I have both).

Again, if you have applications that struggle, than get the pro.

note: I use an application that struggles with a Mac Pro 12 core 24GB.
    (just to put things in perspective. BTW, it's not my machine, the Mac Pro that is :D )

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Get 13" MBP for all of your art/video editing!! MBP is very powerful than MBA!

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Get the MBP. The processing power isn't the big plus of going for the Air. You'll be paying more (13 inch) for less power when you could simply get a MBP and buy an extra SSD yourself, and only come out spending 100 more WITH a more powerful machine that will ultimately be faster and expandable (2nd HD + more RAM).

8. waitsui macrumors newbie

I concur with JamesHP. If this is the only machine you'll be using for awhile, go with the Pro. The extra processing power goes a long way and takes you further in your investment.

Of course you can always give yourself some excuses to get a faster Mac later if you buy the Air now :D

9. eternalife macrumors regular

MBP all the way. There is a lot more extensibility in that hardware.

10. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'd love to say the MacBook Pro. However, the resolution on the 13" MBP is just horrible :mad: (In my opinion) Try one yourself in the store.

Photoshop is fine on my last MacBook Air 2010 (I sold it). Is pretty fast due to the SSD. The resolution on the screen is just awesome. I wish they have that option on the 13" MBP.

Sounds like you're more a pro user (Final Cut Pro, Photoshop etc...), I'd recommend the low end 15" + High-res screen. You would surprise how nice the machine is going to be. I love it so much. I think is a perfect size. (I owned 13" MacBook Pro 2009, 17" MacBook Pro 2010, 13" MacBook Air 2011.
    I mean I like the Air, is just not powerful enough for me.

I can't recommend the Air for what you're going to do. So MacBook Pro 13" if you don't mine the low resolution, otherwise 15" low end (High-end would be great for long term) :)

Good luck for your decision :D