Should I buy a macbook pro now? Or in two months? (while in japan...)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. B, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Mr. B macrumors regular

I really need to get a macbook pro for my classes and everything, however I feel like I'm going to regret it heavily if I buy now.

Main reasons for this would be...

1. New OS upgrade coming out shortly that I would have to pay for.

2. I believe that new hardware will come out shortly after the upgrade to the software. New outside to reflect the new interface?

However... I am going to be going to japan for 5 months to study in two weeks.

I will need a powerful laptop to use. My current laptop is a g4 ibook from around 3 years ago. It simply is not up to the task.

What should I do?

(by the way, I have around 2200 dollars to spend, plus I have the education discount. Plan on purchasing applecare towards the end of the laptops free year.)

(oops, edit. If I bought while in Japan I would not buy from a Japanese apple store. Rather I would let a friend buy it back in the states and ship it to me. This would tack on about a hundred and twenty dollars for shipping.)

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Hey m8. I get all of my Apple gear from Japan. Its the same. You will save money buying from an Apple store in Japan also, depending on what day you buy and what the Yen rate is. They give %10 off the total price for the apple discount. The Macbook Pro just got updated. Normally I would say wait, but in this case its still early.

You will really enjoy Japan :D

3. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Unless you really need any of the features in Leopard I would say buy now because it is highly unlikely that the MBP is not going to be updated soon.