Should I buy a MacBook Pro now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zachleon11, Dec 15, 2011.

1. zachleon11 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there any reason I should be waiting to buy a MacBook Pro? I don't want to buy it now and then hear about a brand new update in like a month. Any insight on this?

2. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Buy it now, with cash. Unless you're willing to wait until Mid/Late-2012 for a significant update.

3. zachleon11 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why cash? And no, I'd rather not wait that long. Do you think AppleCare is necessary?

4. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

5. zachleon11 thread starter macrumors member

Well I'd prefer to buy it now if there are no updates coming soon. If there's an update in late January, for instance, I might as well wait. Any longer than that, and I'll just buy it now. I'm just looking for people's point of view who know that sort of thing about apple's product life cycle.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'd wait. MBP's are updated each year usually whether it be a complete overhaul or minor spec bumps. The rumor mill speculates that there might be the potential for a 15" macbook air or slimmed down 15" MBP next year. That will probably come around the middle of next year or so? maybe? Unless you're able to get a dandy of a deal on a current gen MBP then go for it. Otherwise, I'd just say wait and see what the next batch of MBP's look like. Worst case, if you don't like the newer version for some reason then the older models will drop quite a bit in price.

As for the Applecare? Your choice really however paying a couple hundred bucks for your $2000+ machine isn't a bad idea. I didn't get AC when I got my MBP however, if I could do it over again, I probably would just to be on the safe side. Plus it helps with resale in the event you come to that point. So far, my MBP has been flawless without any issues but you never know.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wait for ivy bridge its only a couple months away. plus a possible retina display in the macbook pro.

8. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

If I buy them with my business account, I always buy AC. Personally, I never buy it. We get 2 years warranty service minimal (EU rule) so it's not a big deal to have AC for me.

Buy now.

Cash is king.

9. blue22, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

blue22 macrumors 6502a

blue22

buy soon if you need it before the end of January...

If you can't wait until March '12 then buy one now as even the rumored 15" MBA is set to be released then, followed by the Ivy Bridge MBP's sometime between March-May.

Also, if you wait until a couple of weeks after Christmas you can get a good deal in Apple's Online Refurbished Store, most likely full of more options due to people doing exchanges/returns after the holidays. Just a thought.

10. Akack macrumors 6502a

Pretty confident in saying there won't be an updated MBP coming out by end of Jan 2012.