Should I buy a MacBook Pro now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Another Fan, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. Another Fan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    #1
    know this is a large question but I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

    I am starting school again and my little 14 inch iBook is shot. It is very slow, I can't run iLife 08, or iWork for that matter. It has had many problems in the past and I have had it for about 3 years.
    I was wondering if I should by my Macbook Pro on September 5th (with the new iPod update(?) Is it a good time to buy one? I really need it but I am hesitant because of Leopard. Will that run on a Macbook Pro? I know I will never own the absolute best Macbook because it will all ways be updated. However, I have been holding out for years now! Should I buy one on September 5th?
     
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #2
    Your joking right? Leopard will run on your iBook! On a MBP it will absolutely fly!
     
  3. Another Fan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    #3
    Read my status:


    Read my status: Macrumors Newbie. BTW, thanks. I was getting all worried over nothing.
     
  4. mBurns macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #4
    Yeah, don't worry. I don't think your G4 iBook is going to have any difficulty running 10.5.
     
  5. matt l macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2007
    #5
    you may want to try and wipe your hard disk and do a clean install of your OS before you splash out for a new one. chances are it will be back to the speed it was when you first used it.
     
  6. Another Fan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    #6
    I want a new computer

    Yes, but I want a new computer, I can afford one now, should I jump in and get a Macbook Pro?
     
  7. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #7
    At this point I'd wait for Leopard before buying. It can't be more than 2 months away.
     
  8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

    taylorwilsdon

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2006
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #8
    But whats the point? If you wait it out until Leopord, the next thing will be just around the corner. Buy it now and be happy if you can afford to do so.
     
  9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

    bobcan

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
    #9
    If...

    If you "need it" and can "afford it" then you should get it.... This pretty much is a Universally Accepted Business / Life Solution I hope!!

    If you wait long enough "the Next Greatest Thing is always just about available" !!!!
     
  10. $nowman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #10
    but itd be dumb to buy a MB with 10.4 and spend the money to get 10.5

    if you dont care about 10.5 then go now! :p
     
  11. beer.coffee macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    Location:
    Gold Coast, Australia
    #11
    i bought my new machine a month back, even though i knew leopard was coming soon...

    but i just couldnt live on windows for three months, so my decision was pretty much set.


    if your dirt poor, then wait. if your modestly endowed on the wallet front then definitely go for it!
     
  12. crzdmniac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2007
    #12
    I'd say buy now (well the 5th), get your free IPod (I'm assuming college when you say school), and get the Leopard upgrade for $69 (again assuming college).
     
  13. Another Fan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    #13

    Yes, however my family will be wanting leopard too. So we are going to get a family pack so it doesn't matter about the cost. I am sure about getting it on the 5th with a new iPod(?)
     
  14. GAS macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    #14
    Are you planning to get the iPod seperatly or as part of some back to school deal, because usually the back to school deals will be giving away the old iPods.
     
  15. pedroconejo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    #15
    I say buy now so you can get an iPod shuffle for free and save a whole $79!

    That way when Jaguar comes out in two months, you can pay the extra $250 for the OS upgrade. Surely it won't feel like you got scr3wed.

    But then in January when the next meaningful MBP upgrade comes about you can look at obsolescence as a personal growth experience.

    Seriously, get what you NEED, not what you want. If you need one for school NOW, go get it. If you can wait a few months then wait until Leopard comes out. If you can wait even longer, wait until the January releases.

    Maybe in the meantime while waiting, get yourself a really cheap old model on eBay, etc. and realize that you are buying a computer to serve an actual purpose in your life and work and studies. It is foolish, irresponsible and gluttonous to simply buy one to satisfy a consumerist need to have the best and brightest. Those too shall fast become relics of the past, mere moments after being made. No one (or very few) gets to always have the newest and brightest machines (and as many tests will show, the newest are NOT always the best) unless they work for the handful of Mac and computer industry-related magazine and review companies... and even then most of those employees make do personally with models a little long in tooth.

    Just My opinion
     
  16. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    Location:
    Hove, South East England
    #16
    Jaguar!?!?!

    Im going mad, i though we were in the year 2007! :eek::p;)
     
  17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #17
    Note that just because Leopard comes out in October does not force you to buy it then. I will wait until at least 10.5.1 comes out and even then I will be watching the scene closely to see what Leopard goves me versus what I have to give up.
     
  18. bobcan macrumors 6502a

    bobcan

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
    #18
    Another Reality Check....

    Also a Good Thought.... seems like a few of these lately... Very nice to see!!
     
  19. Another Fan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    #19

    Hey, first off Shut up. Second, its Leopard you stooge.

    I don't know what you are getting at because you can't speak english that well. Learn to type and since you can't do that, I am not going to listen to you.
     
  20. Another Fan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    #20
    I have been paying attention to your models, you have a Macbook from 06 right? I have an iBook from 2004! I have been using constantly for movie editing, photo editing and making DVDs. Now, iLife 08 doesn't run on it let alone OS 10.4. That is why I need a new one.
     
  21. JasonMac macrumors regular

    JasonMac

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #21
    just wait for Leopard next month before buying, that way your don't have to spend any extra money.
     
  22. Another Fan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    #22
    I am getting the family pack of leopard so it doesnt matter anyway.
     
  23. GAS macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
  24. Another Fan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    #24
    I dunno. :confused:
     
  25. GAS macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    #25
    Lol. I would order the MBP now and then the iPod when it comes out on the 5th. As MBP's are taking 7-10 days to ship. Sooner your order, the sooner you get it.
     

Share This Page