should I buy a macbook pro now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lostz711, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lostz711 macrumors newbie

Ok I did a search and saw a thread posted with the exact same title but no one has posted to it since Sept 7th (I hope I am using the correct format by posting a new thread instead of reviving an old thread).

I am a little confused. I am going to be making my first Mac purchase probably mid July. I am going to be getting a MacBook Pro 15inch.

I am not really too concerned about the back to school promotion they have going on. I am just wondering if their is a rumored refresh that will be happening in the next couple of months? I have a decent computer right now and can wait a little longer if their is a refresh coming out.

I went thru the postings here and it seems that people think the Macbook (not Macbook Pro's) will probably be upgraded in mid July.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Everything here is pretty much speculation. So no one knows for sure. When I got my first mac (15" Aluminum PowerBook g4), I waited because I really wanted the aluminum design which was on the 12" and 17", but not yet on the 15".

It's really up to you if you want to wait since you still have a good computer. But there are no guarantees.

If the current MacBook Pro's specs are good enough for all your needs, I say buy it.

3. andrewisnot macrumors member

andrewisnot

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

are you sure about that ??

There are really a lot of topics about this update !

T.

5. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

If you need it now, buy it now. There is *always* going to be something newer/faster/better that's just around the corner.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

7. lostz711 thread starter macrumors newbie

I apologize. I was a little confused because I saw tons of stuff on Macbook and wasn't sure if people were grouping Macbook Pro and Macbook together. I am not a heavy forum user and mostly a lurker - still learning the ropes. Thanks again to everyone for your help :)

EDIT: Ok now I feel like a fool because their is huge thread right below mine on waiting on Montevina (eek! sorry! :)

8. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

Im stuck on the fence too. I want to get a pro but I dont necessarily need it right away. I havent sold my desktop PC yet but I am pretty excited about getting my first mac. But on the other hand I wouldnt mind getting whatever the update entails.

9. spook2517 macrumors member

Def your call, cause honestly the MB & MBP are great computers. I am in the same boat you are (to buy or not to buy) and honestly I will probably wait up until late Aug. I will be using my MBP for FCS, ProTools, and Adobe CS3; so I figure any extra power could be very useful for myself. If you just need a great comp, buy now. Even with the new platform you may not want to spend the extra $$$ to upgrade RAM and whatnot. Currently the MB & MBP use DDR2 RAM which will run you $75-$130 for 4Gb, where the DDR3 RAM of the new platform can run you over $500 easy for 4Gb. I have learned that there are more factors than I really want to consider on this purchase.

10. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Did I type this, because its exactly like my situation.

11. nyutnyut macrumors member

not to be a jerk or anything, but who are all these people that "need" all this power?

i'm a graphic designer, and regularly use 3-CS3 programs at once on my dual 2ghz G5 tower, with sometimes 500meg image files. yah, it could be faster, but it's not unworkable.

i'd guess that most people will never utilize the full power of the current computers out there now, and wouldn't really notice a difference between them and the ones coming out in the future.

now that being said, working on two fairly old computers, i can't wait till i buy a MBP, and i will probably not be waiting for the next upgrade. though if i didn't have such an old computer, i would probably wait.

so if you can make do with what you got, wait.

12. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

haha it's good to see Im not alone.