Should I buy a Macbook Pro today? Poll

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nikobe, Oct 20, 2011.

?

Should I buy a Macbook Pro 14 today?

  1. No silly, wait a while!

    16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Go for it and enjoy it!

    18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. nikobe macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    #1
    Hi all,

    I'm in the UK so its morning here. I'd been planning for a few weeks to buy a Macbook Pro 15 inch today. It was all set.

    But, because of all these rumours of a possible small update, I've been put off a bit. Please can you help me decide before I leave work this afternoon?

    My position is this: I have wanted a mac for quite a long time, but had a perfectly functioning windows laptop. This died a few weeks ago so I though it was the ideal time to mac it up!

    I don't need a new laptop now, as I have a netbook for browsing etc, but it doesn't fulfill all my requirements. Plus I really want to buy a macbook pro.

    The current Macbook Pro, will definitely fulfill my needs, but I have a horrible feeling that I will be disappointed if I get it and then a new one comes out within a short time (I'm talking less than a month, not wait until Ivy Bridge type time).

    Should I wait in case a small update is imminent or should I buy and enjoy and be content with the fact that new tech is always being released so it shouldn't really matter when I buy?

    In a way, Im asking "what would you do in the same situation?"

    Thanks a lot in advance for you answers.

    By the way, this is my first ever poll, so I hope it works.
     
  2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #2
    I Have Had

    My new MBP 17" i7 for a week now....I wasn't concerned about any updates...I needed it and bought it.

    My guru@ apple tells me it's "going to be a while" before we see any major re-design.

    I'd haggle like H**** and get yourself a discount. PM me and I will put you in touch with my sales guy at Apple.
     
  3. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2010
    #3
    It's really hard to say. There's different positions to it... and neither is right or wrong. The way I see it, however, is this.

    You NEED a new computer, go buy it (if there's a new model within a 2 week timeframe Apple will refund you).

    You DO NOT really need a computer... then wait.

    I'd assume that there will be a small upgrade in the next couple weeks, just a small speed bump for the holiday season. The Ivy Bridge + Redesign refresh won't occur until Feb. at the earliest.

    Since Macs cost the exact same on the day they are released and on the day BEFORE there a new models, i.e. the 15" MBP costs the same now as it did half a year ago, I, personally, only buy when they just released.

    With new models out I can then make up my mind, whether the upgrade is worth it and I buy a the new one. Or whether to buy the 'old' one with a discount.
     
  4. palpatine macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #4
    You sound like someone who would be upset if something new came out soon (even if the performance difference is marginal), and there is always that possibility around this time of year, so

    Enjoy the waiting game :)
     
  5. waitsui macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2011
    #5
    I'd say if you don't truly need a Macbook Pro right now, you should wait for a couple more weeks as every news source is pointing to an imminent update. It's not a complete redesign as others had pointed out but you'll definitely get newer hardware for the same price.

    But if you truly want a Macbook Pro right now, go for it and you won't regret it. :D
     
  6. iMayne macrumors newbie

    iMayne

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Location:
    UK, West Midlands
    #6
    I dont think you should wait. Technology is forever changing. Apple, everyday, has a new plan for a new iDevice. Everything is getting faster and faster. Go get that new Mac. If your not sure, have your credit card loaded and visit an Apple Store. You'll me amazed what you took home lol
     
  7. nikobe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    #7

    I'm actually massively on the fence about this still.

    In terms of the actual product, I wouldn't be that bothered if the update is only a minor processor bump or similar, as I doubt I'd notice it in reality.

    But, I don't like the idea of possibly knowing I could have got more for exactly the same money.

    I'm finding it really hard to decide what is best.

    I know this is ultimately a good dilema, because either way I'm going to come away with an awesome product eventually.......
     
  8. escogido macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    #8
    If you can wait till spring of 2012, then hold off. That's when Ivy Bridge comes out.
     
  9. nikobe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    #9
    .....don't really want to wait that long. This is more of a short term decision really!
     
  10. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

    Corrosive vinyl

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    #10
    I bought my 13" MBP right when they were released (mid 2009) with the bare minimum 2GB of RAM, no upgrades of any kind.... When the new macs came out (2010 models), I was upset with my purchase because they updated the graphics card.

    In all reality, I NEEDED a computer right then (my old computer, an ibook G4, was basically fried beyond repair). Also, as of very soon, I will be getting a RAM upgrade to help with longevity. I honestly do not regret purchasing what i did, even when the new model came out and I was upset I couldn't hold out until then.
     
  11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #11
    go buy an ipad, wait until the ivy bridge MBP's come out with the new design that rumors are rumoring and yeah...

    [lol im just saying to wait it out]
     
  12. palpatine macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #12
    If it were me, I would buy the computer that meets your needs. If you intend to sell it in the future (in the spring, for example), then accept that you will take a loss of a few hundred dollars. If you don't intend to sell it, then it doesn't matter one bit. Right?

    When the Ivy Bridge processor comes out, I suppose I will "want" it, but to be honest, it is totally unnecessary. I seriously doubt I will upgrade in the next few years. My MBP 13" is more than I need right now, and as my work changes, it will be even less necessary in a few months. Actually, I am doing most of my work on the iPad these days. LOL.
     
  13. thunderboltmac macrumors member

    thunderboltmac

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    Location:
    sudo
    #13
    buy if u need, wait if its not essential

    i recommend u to wait coz its almost end of the 1 year or so cycle and if its not essential, u culd wait for a new model.
     
  14. eric/ Guest

    eric/

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio, United States
  15. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    #15
    Agree.

    I have a Windows XP desktop and a Windows 7 Thinkpad x61 (yes, still strong since 2007). I do not really need a new computer now, but I like to have a Mac because I want to experience both worlds (why not?). And I've been a PC guy since DOS 5.0 :D

    I was about to get a MBP 13 (because I like to have all the ports) until I heard the new generation will come in few months. I wait.

    BTW, for me, the iPad is a toy like the iPhone or the Android phones. One can hardly do any serious work on them. The MBA is nice, but not "Pro" IMHO. I will get the new MBP Ivy Bridge 13 with a dedicated vid card and a higher resolution display :D

    Including "Boot Camp" for (mainly) Windows users is a smart move :) If Lenovo did the same for Mac OS, I would have bought the new X220. But they did not. So I turn to the Mac. Simple :)

    Cheers.
     

Share This Page