Should I buy a MBP 13" 2.66?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deadpanmatt, Jan 12, 2011.

  1. deadpanmatt macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    #1
    Hello, long time reader first time poster.

    I have been tempted to buy the MBP 13" 2.66 (I can get it for £1,200 with educational discount) however I am worried that they may release an updated version soon, meaning that I could get more for my money in a month or two. Can anyone advise me on this?

    Thanks in advance,
    Matt
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    They're due for an update soon, according to the Buyer's Guide.

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

    However if you need a new machine I wouldn't wait. Updates to the 13" model are probably going to be minor, and depending on what you use your machine for it won't be worth it anyway.
     
  3. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #3
    (1) Why do you need the 2.66 over the 2.4? In what ways will the CPU difference make a noticeable affect when it's a maximum 10% speed increase on CPU-bound tasks?

    (2) Do you NEED a new computer now? If so then you don't really have a choice. If you can wait, then you don't NEED it now.

    (3) Have you read any of the dozens of other threads asking a similar question? What specific questions do you have which aren't answered in those other threads?

    (4) and finally, with kudos to GimmeSlack12: Should I eat a brownie? Or wait?
     
  4. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    Updates to the 13" will be too minor to bother with.
    Go get one now!
     
  5. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #5
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Nooooooo!!!! For Gods sake wait. Core 2 Duo is crappy and the updated MBP will be most likely intels i3 or i5. Will also probaly have sandy bridge.
     
  6. deadpanmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    #6
    This thread is basically a representation of my mind. I'm almost at the point of buying it but keep thinking about possible updates in the near future.

    'deeddawg': Cheers for the patronising post. Thanks to your enlightening comments I have realised that I don't NEED a new computer because essentially all I NEED to live is shelter, food and water. Therefore I won't be bothering with this laptop and will instead be buying £1,200's worth of bread and assorted drinks.

    Everyone else: Thank you for replying and offering me your advice/ opinions :)
     
  7. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #7
    Whatever you felt my tone was, the point remains the same regardless of your snarky reply. Try to separate need from want. If your current computer is dead/broken then you likely don't have an option to wait; that counts as a need. If you're just itching to buy something new and your current computer is able to handle the things you use a computer for, then that's more of a want. Point being, which perhaps wasn't spelled out as clearly as you required, unless you absolutely need to buy a new computer now it'd be best to wait a little bit.

    Do you have any particular questions do you have that aren't answered elsewhere? If you could elaborate on those, I'm sure you'll gather helpful replies to those questions rather than conflicting recommendations. Some of the threads currently on the first two pages:

    New MBP, but now?
    MBP 2011 Dates Only
    Buy MBP 13" now or wait?
    MacBook Pro 2011 predictions
    If I want a 13", am I better off buying now?

    As well as the MacBook Pro Buyer's Guide which miles01110 pointed out, and is listed at the top of forum.

    Here in the states, there's a significant price difference between the MBP13 2.4GHz and 2.66Ghz considering the very minor bump in CPU speed. As part of your question seemed to be whether you'd be better served paying that extra money, you would help others advise you if you gave more info as to your thinking on why you want the 2.66 vs 2.4
     
  8. Squadleader macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Location:
    Avalon Hill
    #8
    Buy it now, or later, still gonna be your choice...Every other thread asks the same thing....:cool:
     
  9. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
  10. pricej636 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado
    #10
    I think you either read his post wrong or you are lacking some self confidence or something. I don't see anything in his post that is patronizing.

    The answer is the same for you if as it is for the other 36 posts on the first three pages asking the same question. If you absolutely need to buy a laptop then don't wait. There is nothing coming for the 13" that is going to blow the current models out of the water. If you have a working computer now, it might not be a bad idea to wait though and see what happens. Nobody knows what is coming, so its hard to give you a direct answer.

    For that matter, it might be better to wait anyway. If the 13" is updated, even if its a minor upgrade the old models are going to be clearanced out and you can save a couple hundred bucks.

    Still, its your money. Do what you want to do.
     
  11. deadpanmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    #11
    Believe it or not, I did check for other similar posts before posting. Admittedly I didn't go past the first page, but I thought the worst that would happen would be people would just ignore it! I had read some rumours online about early 2011 updates but I thought someone on here might know something I don't, so thought I'd inquire.

    Anyhoo, thanks for your advice, it has helped me and I'll mull it over some more before deciding what to buy. Cheers all! :)
     
  12. DiScO197 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2008
    #12
    I've just received the 2.66 MBP base model. My circumstances are perhaps slightly different to yours, because this was a replacement from an insurance claim due to water damage to a 2007 SR Macbook. It's a very nice, fast machine depending on what your expectations are. I use it for email, internet and mobile recording etc with Logic Pro. I have STEAM on it and the Portal runs ok but not exactly great. Personally, I think the addition of an SSD and more RAM in the next 2 years or so will make this thing fly. I've already proved it with my 8 core 2007 Mac Pro. It beats the s*** out of this brand new book.
     
  13. vant macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    #13
    You are definitely the first person in MR history to make a post like this.

    /sarcasm.

    Anyways, the 2.66 is a big waste of money. Generally purchased by those who don't do their research.
     
  14. DiScO197 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2008
    #14
    Who, me?
     
  15. elhungarian macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2009
    #15
    saw this pic in another thread:
    [​IMG]

    Based on that and last update was 04/2010, if theres another 10mo. interval, 02/2011 would seem correct for update to 13"MBP. That gives them till beginning of Feb to announce iPad 2.
     
  16. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #16
    Nooo. Don't buy it. Apple doesn't sell the 2.66GHz MBP anymore. When the new MBP is released, you will be able to buy the 2.4GHZ MBP from the refurbished store for a cheaper price! I suggest you wait and see what happens. From what I remember, I believe the 2.66GHz MBP comes with 2GB ram standard right? While on the other hand the 2.4GHz comes with 4GB ram standard. :s Those are just some things that would worry me if I were in your shoes.
     
  17. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #17
    You might want to review http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro again.

    Apple certainly appears to sell the 2.66GHz 13" MBP, and its shown as 4GB RAM standard.

    Whether the CPU and HDD upgrade is worth the price over the 2.4GHz MBP13 is another question; in most cases I don't believe it is.
     
  18. pricej636 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado
    #18
    The 2010 13" models are 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz with 4GB RAM standard and the better video chip. The 2.66 has the faster processor and larger HD.

    The 2009 13" models are 2.26GHz and 2.53GHz with 2GB RAM standard with the older video chip.
     

Share This Page