Should I buy a MBP 13" now or wait for new 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pyrofreak, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Pyrofreak, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015

Pyrofreak macrumors newbie

Pyrofreak

I've been an apple user since 2012 when I purchased my first apple item, the iPhone 5. That same year I ended up buying an iPad 3 and eventually as time passed I've quarried an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.

But I've never ventured into the MBP realm. I've done a ton of search regarding both products but quite honestly I'm still confused about the decision I should make. So, I figured I would explain my current and future work load and see what everyone here has to say.

Currently, I am finishing my final year of dual major computer programming and database administration. This semester (late August - early December) I'll be doing some hardcore programming in four different languages and database administration. Next semester, (Jan - May) I'll be doing my internship (uncertain as to where) and preparing for graduation. When I am not doing home, I like to take a lot of pictures and I do some mild video editing.

So, based on that, if it helps, what would you guys recommend? I think I can hold out for Skylake and get the newer 15" (in Oct / Nov if need be), but is that the best decision? Or should I look into a 13"?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I think a lot will depend on how money you can afford to spend. Any of the MacBook Pro or iMac computers will meet your usage needs. It now comes down to how much to spend, and what size screen you want. Another thing to consider is portability, which the iMac will not be.

3. Pyrofreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Pyrofreak

I removed iMac, I meant to keep the discussion strictly MBP. That being said I have no price limit and I've been teetering back and forth between the two. Not to mention the potential release of refreshed macbooks with skylake in oct or nov hasn't helped me any.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The current rMBPs are like butter anyway, due to the insanely quick SSDs. If you're looking for portability, go 13". It'll easily handle programming and video/photo editing.

If you want a lot more power though at the cost of portability/weight/price, get the 15". If you want to get the 15" it may be best to wait until they refresh (possibly October?)

Either computer will be more than suitable for your needs, though.

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Have you gone down to an Apple Store to look at and play with the computers. That might be the best suggestion as using something in person can help make up your mind.

6. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I used to be firmly in the 'N+1' buying camp where I would have problems purchasing something in the fear that the next version would always be better. For example I held of buying an IPhone 4 because I waited for the IPhone 5. You get the idea. History has taught me that the next version isn't always better.

If you can afford it now, go out and buy it, enjoy it, safe in the knowledge that whatever you buy today will have a good resale value later on.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you're able to wait until late fall, I'd say hold out. You seem to want the 15" MBP and I think overall you'll be better off waiting for what you want.

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Depends what you want.

I am very happy with my 13" rMBP 13".

Battery life is great, trackpad is great, GPU is good for integrated (never expected it to be a GPU powerhouse).

Do you want a 15" form factor? If so, either wait.... or buy a 15" machine now.

There is ALWAYS something around the corner, and buying brand new as soon as something is released isn't without its pitfalls from time to time anyway - firmware bugs, chipset bugs, etc. are all possibilities.

If you wait 6 months, you've spent 6 months dealing with whatever old slow machine you are using today rather than having a nice machine to use TODAY.

9. jf1450 macrumors regular

There is always going to be something better and faster in the future. That is no reason to wait. We're getting to the point where improvements don't bring the huge gains in whatever that they used to. How fast is fast enough? How many more pixels will it take to make a now beautiful display more beautiful?

I do corporate software development, it sounds like you're going down the IT road. In that line of business you'll want all the screen real estate you can get. Go for the 15. If Apple still made the MBP 17 that's what I'd be using.

-jeff

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Also...

FYI official performance figures from intel for the Skylake chips that have been released are 10% performance improvement over HASWELL. 20% over Ivy Bridge, and 30% over Sandy Bridge.

So if you're holding off, expecting Skylake to blow you away on anything other than integrated GPU performance (jury still out on that as the mobile versions aren't out yet), then you're going to be disappointed.

CPU performance difference vs. broadwell will be < 10%, maybe slightly better battery and slightly better GPU.

Which for a 15" machine with dGPU is largely irrelevant.

11. Pyrofreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Pyrofreak

Thanks for all the replies I think I've made my decision

12. aloshka macrumors 65816

Which was?

13. nStyle, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

nStyle macrumors 6502a

Yes, Skylake is going to be a better-than-average improvement, but still isn't going to blow anyone away coming from anything within the past 3 years. I have no idea why people are even concerned about better integrated graphics...It's still integrated graphics. What I wish Apple would do is put the best mobile GPU possible in the 15" and call it a day. I would not care if it was .5lb heavier and slightly thicker to have a machine worth paying for.

At any rate - for your uses, it's all a moot point. Literally any machine within the past 3-5 years would do what you want to do. I prefer the 13" for its portability and the fact that you really aren't getting a lot more with the 15". Also, there's no guarantee that Apple will refresh the 15" again this year.

14. aloshka macrumors 65816

You don't but many do. Very few people want a huge 15" brick. I think the reason why Apple's 15" is so attractive is because it's powerful in a smaller package.