Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
I've saved up £2000, after buying a Powerbook last christmas, and I was REALLY REALLY upset when I saw the MacBook Pro being introduced a couple of months later, but I suppose this happens with technology all the time.

Anyway,

I've got some money, and I kinda need a new laptop by February as my Powerbook is totally screwed up, (I dropped it and messed it all up, not worth fixing it), so should I buy the MacBook Pro CD2 now or should I wait until February, because Leopard might be out by then (POSSIBLITY) and also Apple may have fixed some problems with the MacBook Pro, like Wi-Fi issues and stuff.

Also with £2000 I could get a 17" MacBook Pro, is the difference between 15" and 17" really THAT big? - What do you guys think? - I can't really goto my Local Apple Store as its over 1 hour away, when I had my 15" Powerbook, I did need more screen space to work with (however with Expose) this is elimated. Please help fellow Mac Buddies!

What would you guys suggest?

Need input, many thanks!

Dynatos

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
My thoughts: Buy it when you need it.

If you don't need it until February, buy it in February.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I bought mine recently, but I know how you feel. I bought a Powerbook last christmas too. For some reason I just get this strange feeling that history is going to repeat itself next January :rolleyes:

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i don't have any problems with my MBP's WiFi and i'd bet Leopard will be released in April (like Apple has done historically). that said, you can wait if you want but i think now is a great time to buy a MBP.

i'd go for the 15" and buy an external monitor if you're concerned with screen space. i don't think a 17" laptop is worth it; if you're going to spend that much, you might as well get an iMac.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
I can't really goto my Local Apple Store as its over 1 hour away

the closest apple store is probably two hours (by one or two plane) away from me, i think you should take that hour travel and see for yourself, especially considering all the possible problems with the new laptops :D

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Yeah I was also thinking that option, I could buy a FULLY Spec'd out 24" iMac for the price of a 17" MBP!

I may also consider this option, however I do need a laptop!

I think I'm gonna wait until February, and save up some more money, incase their a new version out and then I can also get 3GB of DDR2 RAM! :D :D

chaslam

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Yeah I was also thinking that option, I could buy a FULLY Spec'd out 24" iMac for the price of a 17" MBP!

I may also consider this option, however I do need a laptop!

I think I'm gonna wait until February, and save up some more money, incase their a new version out and then I can also get 3GB of DDR2 RAM! :D :D

Truthfully, I dont think they will update the MBP range for at least 9 - 10 months. To wait 3 months and update it again would be a very stupid move my apple. It would just piss off customers. Think about how long it took Core2Duo to comes to macs. I mean All the other laptops are C2D, and apple are still making CD laptops for about 2 months before updating.

Buy one now. If you buy one now, you wont be dissapointed when the next one comes out in 0 months or so, as you know you got a long time where it was the best laptop in the world haha.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
Yeah I was also thinking that option, I could

that isn't going to happen, wouldn't be a smart move unless your waiting for an ultra portable at mwsf , which seems unlikely since the blackbook was said to be the 12" powerbook's replacement. or your waiting for leopard which probably wont make it out until april

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Buy one now! I bought a CD MBP while everyone was waiting for the C2D and it was a great decision as I've been rocking on a superb machine for a while now. Cheers, Tom

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
id wait

2006 has generally been a bad year for mac laptops

:confused: and what the heck are you basing that statement on? I'd say 2006 was pretty sweet in terms of mac laptops, I mean hell, it's a lot better than 2005 when apple squeezed every last ghz of clockspeed out of the g4 chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.