Should I Buy A Mbp Core Duo 2 Now Or Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wasimyaqoob, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

    Dec 23, 2005
    London, England.
    I've saved up £2000, after buying a Powerbook last christmas, and I was REALLY REALLY upset when I saw the MacBook Pro being introduced a couple of months later, but I suppose this happens with technology all the time.


    I've got some money, and I kinda need a new laptop by February as my Powerbook is totally screwed up, (I dropped it and messed it all up, not worth fixing it), so should I buy the MacBook Pro CD2 now or should I wait until February, because Leopard might be out by then (POSSIBLITY) and also Apple may have fixed some problems with the MacBook Pro, like Wi-Fi issues and stuff.

    Also with £2000 I could get a 17" MacBook Pro, is the difference between 15" and 17" really THAT big? - What do you guys think? - I can't really goto my Local Apple Store as its over 1 hour away, when I had my 15" Powerbook, I did need more screen space to work with (however with Expose) this is elimated. Please help fellow Mac Buddies!

    What would you guys suggest?

    Need input, many thanks!
  2. Dynatos macrumors newbie

    Nov 2, 2006
    My thoughts: Buy it when you need it.

    If you don't need it until February, buy it in February.
  3. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    I bought mine recently, but I know how you feel. I bought a Powerbook last christmas too. For some reason I just get this strange feeling that history is going to repeat itself next January :rolleyes:
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    i don't have any problems with my MBP's WiFi and i'd bet Leopard will be released in April (like Apple has done historically). that said, you can wait if you want but i think now is a great time to buy a MBP.

    i'd go for the 15" and buy an external monitor if you're concerned with screen space. i don't think a 17" laptop is worth it; if you're going to spend that much, you might as well get an iMac.
  5. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

    Oct 30, 2006
    the closest apple store is probably two hours (by one or two plane) away from me, i think you should take that hour travel and see for yourself, especially considering all the possible problems with the new laptops :D
  6. wasimyaqoob thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Dec 23, 2005
    London, England.
    Yeah I was also thinking that option, I could buy a FULLY Spec'd out 24" iMac for the price of a 17" MBP!

    I may also consider this option, however I do need a laptop!

    I think I'm gonna wait until February, and save up some more money, incase their a new version out and then I can also get 3GB of DDR2 RAM! :D :D
  7. chaslam macrumors regular

    Oct 29, 2006
    Truthfully, I dont think they will update the MBP range for at least 9 - 10 months. To wait 3 months and update it again would be a very stupid move my apple. It would just piss off customers. Think about how long it took Core2Duo to comes to macs. I mean All the other laptops are C2D, and apple are still making CD laptops for about 2 months before updating.

    Buy one now. If you buy one now, you wont be dissapointed when the next one comes out in 0 months or so, as you know you got a long time where it was the best laptop in the world haha.
  8. macman2790 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 4, 2006
    that isn't going to happen, wouldn't be a smart move unless your waiting for an ultra portable at mwsf , which seems unlikely since the blackbook was said to be the 12" powerbook's replacement. or your waiting for leopard which probably wont make it out until april
  9. wasimyaqoob thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Dec 23, 2005
    London, England.
    Hmmm... I'm just gonna wail til February/March time and see what comes along, I've still got my lovely PowerMac G5 :)
  10. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a


    Aug 14, 2006
    Buy one now! I bought a CD MBP while everyone was waiting for the C2D and it was a great decision as I've been rocking on a superb machine for a while now. Cheers, Tom
  11. jonutarr macrumors regular


    Sep 1, 2006
    id wait

    2006 has generally been a bad year for mac laptops
  12. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040


    Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    :confused: and what the heck are you basing that statement on? I'd say 2006 was pretty sweet in terms of mac laptops, I mean hell, it's a lot better than 2005 when apple squeezed every last ghz of clockspeed out of the g4 chip.

Share This Page