Should I buy a MBP? MBP vs. G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lucas911, Jun 10, 2007.

1. lucas911 macrumors newbie

I need some advise,
    I am a video editing / photoshoping / web designing type of guy. I use Final Cut Studio, Adobe’s CS3 suite and your every day apps. I currently own a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3ghz 2GB Ram, 400GB HDD. I roughly paid $3,000.

Here is my big question, Should I sell my G5 and buy a 15” Mac Book Pro?
    I would most likely get 1TB Lacie External HDD (RAID 0, Firewire 800) and still use my external monitor (20” widescreen) to create the extended desktop which makes it so nice for video editing and photoshop.
    I’d like a MBP because of its portability, speed, and because it was recently updated.
    I could wait until October to get Leopard / iLife 07? pre-installed but everyday my G5 lowers in price.

Would the purchase be a big loss? Am I going to be upgrading every 2 years or is the PPC/Intel switch motivating this change?

What do you think?

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If portability is a big concern for you, then by all means go with a new MacBook Pro. But just don't buy a MBP because it is new- if your G5 works fine for you, then keep it. :)

3. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I, of course, agree with the above poster. However, I just wanted to chime in that a loss of performance should not be a concern. In fact, you will most likely see a significant gain in performance if you are not running in Rosetta.
    As pointed out previously, even Core Duo (not even C2D or Santa Rosa C2D) Macbooks beat out dual G5 systems in Final Cut Pro Rendering....
    Check this out.

4. lucas911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Performance is another point that is driving me towards the MBP.
    Although I don't do much 3D work, rendering videos for web (H.264) can sure take a while.
    The portability is huge, I just can't decide if its a need or a want. The MBP is so great in that it can be like a desktop with external monitor, keyboard, mouse, HDD...