Should I buy a MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by likuidsilence, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. likuidsilence macrumors newbie

    Jun 22, 2008
    Hello everyone, I'm interested in buying a MBP but I've heard rumors about a new MBP coming out soon. I really wouldn't mind waiting as long as I get the latest and greatest ! what do you guys think? should I buy one now or wait till a new one comes out? Thanks.
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    A better question would be "Should I search the forums or not?"


    Montevina. August 2008. Slightly faster CPU, leaps better GPU, possibly more RAM standard on the 17", bigger HDDs across the board, possibly LED backlight across the board, possibly magnetic latch, NO full-case redesign.

    If you can wait, wait. If you need it now, buy, be happy, and get some actual work done.
  3. sbf74 macrumors member

    Apr 28, 2008
    If you don't mind waiting, and MUST have the 'latest and greatest' - then you should wait to see what Montevina brings.

    If you can't, like me, then buy the current model and be happy with it. I sure am!
    There is very little extra in the Montevina model IMHO so I will wait for Nehalem (tock) and the apparently 'major' improvements scheduled for mid-09.

    Good hunting!
  4. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
  5. Woot1289 macrumors newbie

    Jun 20, 2008
    Hear Hear...
  6. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

    Jun 12, 2008
    Nobody knows its going to be released in August OR July OR September. Just buy it now. I mean seriously, even if it does come out 1-2 months later, you missed out of on 100mhz of processing power? a slightly higher FSB? it will make no difference in your day to day computing.

    Everybody waiting, may think they are waiting for better components. In reality its all psychological. They want the best parts, it will stimulate their brain more. Even if you run your processor 24/7 with Folding@Home, the difference between the low-end now and the low-end monteniva will be negligible. Updated chip features, same Core 2 architecture.

    Note: I just used the low-end MPB for comparison. Same goes with the high-end MPB now and the high-end MPB then.

    Also Tallest, how do you know the GPU is going to be upgraded so much? Which GPU is it being upgraded too?
  7. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    The other question you should ask yourself: "Do I need a computer right now?"

    If you do, buy one now; if you don't, wait!
  8. TheCookie macrumors regular


    Jun 9, 2008
    It's also possible that the pricing will jump with the upgrade. If you buy now (I bought two weeks ago), you may wind up with a discount versus any updates--by waiting, you might end up paying more than the extra performance is worth.
  9. johngardiner macrumors regular

    May 13, 2008

    You should note that what TS is saying is pure speculation, nobody knows exactly when or what apple will update. With Montevina coming out next month I suspect Apple will upgrade the MBP within a short timeframe, but don't count on any of the other features mentioned. A GPU upgrade would be nice, and LED across all models (the only one that's missing it is the 17 inch non high res) is very likely.

    The point is that no one knows for sure so you need to make your decision based on your current needs. That's what I did in April and I couldn't be happier!
  10. Yixian macrumors 65816

    Jun 2, 2007

    Probably a 9650GS or 9650 GT (hopefully the latter)

    Either way, the current MBP GPU is one of the worst GPUs in recent memory, it's entire engine is gimped to high heaven, whatever we get is gonna serve us a LOT better.

    If you plan on doing any gaming or video work at all, do not even think about buying until the update.
  11. Woot1289 macrumors newbie

    Jun 20, 2008
    Apple has consistently kept the same pricing, or gone down. You won't be paying more for the upgrades, unless you upgrade your entire model.
  12. markrivers macrumors 6502a


    Feb 9, 2008
    Valencia, California
    what do you do that requires the latest and the greatest?
    ( insert sarcasm here!) :D
    and please tell us your definition of a laptop that is the LATEST and the GREATEST..
    it might turn out a PC if you ask me :D
  13. likuidsilence thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your input.. since the release day for the Montevina MacBook Pros is unknown I decided to buy one next week cause I really need a laptop... It's going to be my first MAC.
  14. lordthistle macrumors 6502

    Feb 29, 2008
    Difficult to say. There are two points of view.

    First. A lot of current MBP user (including me) are having problems with (at least) their screens. There are problems related to strange stripes (leds not turning on), yellowish tint (very disturbing if you elaborate your pictures), and problems related to even/uneven illumination. In order to avoid inevitable attacks from mac zealots, bear in mind that there are a lot of MBP defect-free. I am only saying that the risk is high enough to avoid spending a lot of money for this piece of hardware. (Read posts on this site, arstechnica, ...) So I say: wait.

    Second. Current MBPs have not been redesigned. They have minor improvements with respect to 1-year old MBP. Despite of that, as I said, a lot of people are receiving defective units. Only some supernatural entities can imagine what apple would be able to do on fresh, newly designed units. So I say: but it now.


Share This Page