Should I buy a MBP with extra ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

So I'm thinking about buying a new model MBP and getting 2GB of extra ram. I'm just unsure whether or not it is worth it.. I've looked around online and found a bunch of cheap mac ram, but what troubles me is this:

I have 0 experience opening up and installing ram on any apple computers, and also I've read that I need a very specific RAM type depending on the type of laptop I'm getting.

I'm planning to get the most basic MBP, and mostly just need it for 3D animation, Adobe Programs, and light gaming.

For those who have installed RAM themselves, what do you think? Especially on these new machines?

2. ~Wibble~ macrumors member

Its well worth it and not too difficult to install, im not too sure about the new machines but its probably just as easy. its a matter of clipping it in and installing it which is easy information to find out.

well worth it

~Wiggle~

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

New machine are still easy, but apple is cheaper here in the Uk at least. If I let apple upgrade it would take 7 days so I got a stock 2.4 and changed the ram and HDD my self.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Most Apple machines are fairly easy to install RAM on, and I would assume that the new MBPs will be as well. Buying 3rd-party RAM is definitely the way to go, as Apple has always seemed to over-charge on their RAM prices.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Installing RAM is a piece of cake, don't worry about it. You should be more concerned about the current cost of DDR3 RAM!

The current cost for DDR3 RAM is really quite expensive, and you'll only notice a savings of a few dollars if you go through a reputable third party vendor (e.g. Crucial). Depending on your needs, you may want to wait for the prices to drop and then order extra RAM through a third party company. After about 10 minutes of research on their website, you should be able to figure out what kind of RAM you need for your specific model. If not, just send them a friendly email.

If you need the RAM now, however, I would suggest going with Apple. Not only is the RAM priced aggressively, you won't have to pay the shipping charges that come with third party vendors. That's my opinion anyway (some people will inevitably disagree).

Good luck!

P.S. Installing RAM is a good learning experience... you become less afraid of using a screwdriver and you'll suddenly find various opportunities to save money!

6. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies.

I've decided to just buy my RAM seperately since it's not necessary immediately. I have experience installing RAM on PCs so if it's anything similar to installing it there, then I should be fine. But I won't be breaking any warranty labels or anything, will I?

Also, I guess my question isn't "what KIND of RAM do I need", but what are the best brands to buy? When I search DDR3 RAM, lists and lists come up, and I don't know where to start, or what's compatible with the new macbook pros.