Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britincan

macrumors member
Original poster
I have the chance to buy a mid 2008 MacBook Pro 17" 2.5Ghz for around $550. It has the Nvidia 8600M GT card which so far apparently has not given any problems to the previous owner. Am I taking a gamble? According to the serial number the laptop was manufactured in July 2008. When is the cut off point for having the card replaced if I am unfortunate for it to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Too much activity and interest on the new MBPs, a lot of threads are getting bumped to page 2 and upwards. But to answer your question:

No. The question isn't whether the 8600M GT will fail (since almost the entire line had problems), but when. If I were you I'd pass and look for more recent ones.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
They definitely do fail pretty easily. I sold mine off in 2010 sometime, and the guy I sold it to managed to get the GPU swapped under applecare about a week before the warranty expired.

Might not be awful if you never run anything GPU-intensive on it.

css136

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
I wouldn't risk it. $500 is a lot of money for a laptop you know will fail. I have a 2008 MBP and they've replaced the GPU, but I can tell it's going to fail again. I think the entire line of GPUs is just messed up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.