Should I buy a mid 2008 MacBook Pro 17" with Nvidia 8600M GT Graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britincan, Jun 11, 2012.

1. britincan macrumors member

I have the chance to buy a mid 2008 MacBook Pro 17" 2.5Ghz for around $550. It has the Nvidia 8600M GT card which so far apparently has not given any problems to the previous owner. Am I taking a gamble? According to the serial number the laptop was manufactured in July 2008. When is the cut off point for having the card replaced if I am unfortunate for it to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Too much activity and interest on the new MBPs, a lot of threads are getting bumped to page 2 and upwards. But to answer your question:

No. The question isn't whether the 8600M GT will fail (since almost the entire line had problems), but when. If I were you I'd pass and look for more recent ones.

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

They definitely do fail pretty easily. I sold mine off in 2010 sometime, and the guy I sold it to managed to get the GPU swapped under applecare about a week before the warranty expired.

Might not be awful if you never run anything GPU-intensive on it.

4. css136 macrumors member

I wouldn't risk it. $500 is a lot of money for a laptop you know will fail. I have a 2008 MBP and they've replaced the GPU, but I can tell it's going to fail again. I think the entire line of GPUs is just messed up

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

At this point, there's really no point in getting that specific MacBook Pro.

6. britincan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think you are all confirming my feelings on the subject. It looks like the question is not if, but when it will fail. I'm going to pass on this one.