Should I buy a new BlackBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoulin333, Nov 12, 2007.

1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i am selling my SR MBP to buy a smaller laptop

i wanted to know if i would really notice any slowdown going from a 15" 2.4 ghz SR MBP

to a new blackbook (2gig ram)

i dont need a good 3d card since i built a hacktop

so 3d proformance is no issue

program loading time is though.... like adobe progs... do they run good?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I don't think you will see any noticeable real world performance drop going from 2.4 to 2.2...and since you don't need the extra stuff the MBP offers then I say go for it--you should get a good value for your MBP if you sell it.

4. Anorion macrumors member

You could always save a few bucks, get a white macbook, and upgrade the ram and HDD yourself. I did. Totally worth it.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Seconded. Why pay the black tax? If you do what Anorion said (upgrade the middle white MacBook to a 160GB Harddrive), you save $125 US. You can use that $125 to upgrade the RAM to 4GB (from memoryamerica, newegg, OWC, etc).

You can buy a black Sharpie and colour your White MacBook black if you really want a black one :D

6. -Josh- macrumors regular

7. Billy Bob macrumors regular

I've had one for about 5 months now and I'm really not too impressed. I absolutely hate the new keyboard design and I have already had to do a number of repairs.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

What kinds of repairs? And if you have had to do so many, why not send it back to Apple and get it repaired/replaced?

9. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i did it... happy too, even tested opening apps side by side before i sold the 2.4 mbp... was a bit snapier ... weird... onlything is the screen doesnt compare... but i have a desktop for 1337 stuff,,, i just needed portablility, and it is a great machine

the keyboard has the same feel as my alum keyboard... keys arnt all squishy like the MBP was

10. smadder macrumors member

Ditto BIG TIME!

I did this as well with the Hitachi 7200 200GB and 2 x 2GB RAM (all from Newegg). I sold an MBP to downgrade as well, and I was waiting on the SR MBs to come out. It was good coming out of the box, but now it "feels" a bit faster than my 2.2 MBP did (w/ same drive & RAM, BTW.)

I just couldn't justify $200 dollars more for the black case. I know it doesn't scratch as easily as the traditional Apple white polycarbonate casing, but $200? Dumb. Not you, them. I think it should be an option w/o charge (and stick a SuperDrive in the entry model as well).

11. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Personally, I would never spend the money for the BlackBook. The middle MacBook is the sweet spot.

I was at the airport this weekend for a while and most of the people had macs. The silver and white macs are so popular now, I could see why someone would want to spend the money for the BlackBook. Those are very few and far between, and having something no one else does is got to be worth something.

12. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I dished out the extra money for my blackbook based on an older iBook my church has. I use it with the kids program and it's quite dingy and I think it's the white that makes it stand out. Aesthetics is the very bottom of my list for making my decision. Had the other MacBook choices been any other color than white, I would have gotten one due to the cost difference. But I plan on keeping mine for a long time and don't want it to look nasty. I guess I have the same philosophy with cars as well. I don't care abot color, but would not buy white...

The MacBook does perform beautifully, but compared to the desktop it replaced a calculator performs beautifully.

13. D4F Guest

D4F

indeed it's worth a lot... If you have ego issues and want to show.
    Most of bright people will consider u dumb anyway as you simply waste $200 to get different color.

That's my opinion tho