Should I buy a new Mac book pro now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vball150, May 13, 2011.

1. vball150 macrumors newbie

I'm starting college this year and want a mac. Should I just go get it now or wait for a few more months?
    Your reply is appreciated.

2. 184550 Guest

Depends if you need the latest and greatest.

If you need now, buy now.

I'd at least wait until August/ September when Apple (most likely) runs the Back to School promotion so you'll get the free iPod to keep/ sell.

3. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

The MacBook Pro family was recently updated (April 2011) to include the most recent Intel i Series quad core "Sandy Bridge" chips, improved AMD Graphics cards, more Hard Disk and Memory options, and Intel's new port with "Light Peak" technology (commercially branded as Thunderbolt) If you buy one now, you'll have a recently update computer that will the latest and greatest for quite some time.

The same is not true of a MacBook, which has not been updated in quite sometime. The MacBook is due for an update soon, and I would weight a few months before I would buy one.

MacBook Pro: Yes
    MacBook: No.

4. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

wait for the back to school program!
    Next refresh will be in about a year so its a pretty good time.

5. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Agreed get an iPod out of the purchase.

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It should start, or usually starts, end of May to middle of April and runs until around the beginning of August.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Go ahead and get it now if you don't want/need the iPod Touch. Of course you can wait to get one for free but if you don't want to be bothered with waiting or the player, get something now.

If you have the money, I'd suggest getting a MacBook Pro. Baseline models are great and have strong specs.