Should I buy a new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XxpikachuxX, Oct 17, 2013.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

At the moment I have a Macbook Pro mid 2010 early 2011 2.4 core 2 duo with 8 GB ram and 250 SSD samsung 840 PRO, my uses are Facebook,email,itunes,Skype, Microsoft office, youtube and playing 1080p videos with VLC and maybe once or twice a year doing an HD imovie project, would i notice the difference between mine and a new bottom macbook pro 2.5 iCore 5 ? and i were to sell mine how much would i get? i have the box,incase bag, hdmi and VGA adapters and 200 cycles on my laptop battery. the only thing i do really hate about my macbook is that it gets a little bit hot running flash player do new macbook have this issues to?:apple:

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

If you have to ask you probably don't need a new mac. Other than the occasional HD render you mention, your current mac is probably overkill for what you use it for.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the majority of your uses I'd say your current machine is sufficient. Whether you want to upgrade is another question but I don't think you need too.

4. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

Unless you're gaming, you, by the way you describe it, have a perfectly decent machine.

5. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

6. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I don't think you need upgrading. You still can get more juice from your machine upgrading RAM to 32GB (if I'm not wrong, OWC already offer 32GB kits). This would make your movie projects cut-and-paste faster because the tracks can be stored in RAM. Filter would perform slightly better too.

RAM and SSDs can give eternal life for laptops (at least while 4K videos are not very popular) :p