Should I buy a new MB or old MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pigglywiskers, Feb 5, 2009.

1. pigglywiskers macrumors newbie

I'm looking to purchase my first Mac, and was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion on something. A friend of mine works at the Apple store and would give me his 25% discount to buy a new unibody MB. However, I notice that sometimes Apple sells refurbished MBP's (last gen) for as low as $1250 (with the 8600gt). What do you guys think? Should I get the new, shiny, MB, or the slightly older but faster MBP? I plan on doing some CS4 work, as well as working with Final Cut Pro, and even some gaming. But mostly I plan on using the laptop for web surfing and word processing.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

There are several very helpful discussions on the old MBP vs new MB already. Do a quick search - they bring up some great things to think about.

3. pigglywiskers thread starter macrumors newbie

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Final Cut Pro and Gaming? Get and old MBP with the dedicated graphics card. bear in mind a few people have had issues with the old MBP graphics cards though. Try to get a refurbished 15" Unibody MBP.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The new MB is a lovely machine, - but the "old" MBP beats it on power, performance, and that superb screen. At the end of the day, it's your call, but it seems to be a trade off between something newer, more stylish, but less powerful, over a better - but older- model, with an excellent screen. I have a MBP myself, and I find it excellent.

Cheers and good luck

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^I agree.

The new MB probably beats the old MBP on styling, but that's simply psychological, I believe. The old MBP's design has been around for 8 years or so, so its design probably isn't worse. I'm probably just more bored with it.

Previous MBP Pros:
    - more powerful processor than base unibody MB.

- better graphics capability.

- Can take up to 8 GB (I think). Unibody MBs and MBPs can only take up to 6 GB.

- better battery life than unibody MB and MBP.

- another firewire port.

- screen has far better viewing angle and black levels than unibody MB.

- higher resolution, larger desktop and work area on screen. Good for working with documents, viewing multipe PDFs, etc. This would be valuable to me.

- option for matte screen.

Cons:
    - not as portable as new MBP (obviously).

- build isn't as sturdy. Then again, if you drop either machine, it's going to dent. The disadvantage isn't going to mean that the old MBP is easier to break. However, you may notice more "normal" wear and tear since there are more parts screwed together.

- Nvidia 8xxx series graphics are more prone to failing. It's Nvidia's fault, not Apple's. However, you should realize this.

7. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I say the old MBP. You're gonna want the larger screen to work with FCP and CS4.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

MacBook

I see nothing for you in the MBP unless you are an extreme gamer OR designer using high-end designer software

9. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Well, if you NEED faster get the faster one. Your NEEDS should always outweigh your WANTS. Trust me on this...I have made many a mistake by buying what I wanted as opposed to what I needed.

10. pigglywiskers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to see if my roommate would give me the 25% discount on the new MBP. That'd be around $1500 for the newer MBP, so it wouldn't be as much of a stretch to afford. I know my want for the newer, shinier versions is completely superficial, but dammit I want to treat myself.

11. acrahm macrumors regular

i was deciding between the two a year or so ago and was going to use the notebook for the same reasons as you would and i went with a MBP, i got a rerfurb and i didnt want to upgrade in a year because i needed the performance of a MBP, so thats why i went with the MBP

12. pigglywiskers thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be easier for me to just go with the Macbook if it had firewire. As it is, I would have no way of putting DV footage onto the computer, and I wouldn't be able to use Final Cut with an external hdd. But then again I wouldn't be editing all that much anyways (but it would be a nice option). I could spend $1300 on a refurbished old MBP, or I could spend $1500 for a brand new one with the discount. Man, I just dunno.