Should I buy a new MBP right now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhema, Apr 3, 2007.

  1. Rhema macrumors member

    Sep 11, 2006
    So I currently have a Powerbook g4 and I really need a new machine.

    Should I buy a MBP right now or is there a possibility of new hardware coming out anytime soon?

    If I do get it it'll be the 17inch model.

    Thanks guys
  2. shecky Guest


    May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    do you need it right now? then buy it now.

    i guarantee there is new hardware coming out. its just a question of when. most would guess June 11.
  3. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 21, 2003
    You answered your own question. If you really need a new machine get one. If you really just want a new machine than wait or don't. You will never have the current technology for long.
  4. SSpiro macrumors 6502a


    Mar 30, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  5. dannewell15 macrumors regular

    Mar 17, 2007
    So if you do really need it, get it. I don't need to get rid of my crappy pc, but I want to. This is why I just ordered myself a macbook. I didn't NEED to upgrade but did anyway so if you NEED to, do so. :D
  6. dpaanlka macrumors 601


    Nov 16, 2004
    PowerBook G4? I think the answer is...


    There is never a time when new hardware isn't coming out soon.
  7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816


    Oct 5, 2006
    London, United Kingdom
    Yep get a new one. Any current MBP is gonna blast a G4 outa it. :)
  8. djinn macrumors 68000


    Oct 4, 2003
    The current macbook and macbook pro are stable machines. The thing to consider is when you get newly released design and/or hardware you have to expect problems and bugs.

    I love my new mbp and my wife loves her black macbook.
  9. macjay macrumors 6502

    Oct 3, 2003
    New MBP in 2-3 months. Possibly with new enclosure.
  10. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

    Oct 30, 2006
    maybe , but if true, the machines will be rev.A again, food for thoughts.
  11. Shaduu macrumors 6502a


    Jan 31, 2007
    I highly doubt we'll see a new casing on the MBP, I can't think of any materials other than aluminium and titanium that are very "pro". If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like something we'll see in the next MBP revision.
  12. thekorksta macrumors newbie

    Mar 29, 2006
    Get it now!

    Just think of the 3+ months productivity you might lose by waiting for the next best thing. Having said that I waited for the Merom upgrade to the macbook pro line before replacing my powerbook.
    I did purchase a 15 inch MBP core duo last March and took it back after 10 days with all the weird noises it felt like I was paying to test out Apples equipment so I thought I would wait a while they smooth things out a bit on the Hardware and software side.

    One question do you really want the 17 inch?

    Dont get me wrong its a gorgoeus screen and all,(especially when watching a movie in bed witht he remote ect) but I feel its a bit cumbersome getting in and out of the bag, I think ive bumped it a couple of times here and there going to and from the office.

    So if youre really going to be moving around alot go to the Apple store and get your hands on one before buying.

    There is a lot more Universal apps these days so its a good time to buy.
    I love my machine, good luck!
  13. junkster macrumors regular

    Nov 6, 2006
    I'd buy it. The current MB and MBP models are well beyond what anyone needs in a notebook.
  14. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 10, 2006
    I'm waiting hoping they upgrade the video card by the update, as it is the same one since Jan 2006 I don't know how they could keep the x1600. I don't need it right now, however....
  15. GraceMolloy macrumors regular


    Oct 28, 2006
    I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my C2D MBP. However, that being said, unless you *need* it now, Wait till after June 11.
  16. thekorksta macrumors newbie

    Mar 29, 2006
    new casing

    Yoda skin makes a nice finish, the green fuzz ages well unlike the titanium and even the aluminium. :D
  17. Shaduu macrumors 6502a


    Jan 31, 2007
    Yodas are a rare species though, I doubt Apple would want Greenpeace on their back again.
  18. bmat macrumors 6502

    Nov 24, 2004
    East Coast, USA
    there is the argument that Apple wanted to keep some design continuity for the switch to Intel (yeah, yeah MBs) and now that that's done, they're free to bust out with a new enclosure.

    but, yeah, you can wait forever, so I'd get it if you need it (as I type this on my G4 powerbook).
  19. emac82 macrumors 6502

    Feb 17, 2007
    NB, Canada
    I don't mean to sound rude, but I am sick of these "Should I buy now" threads. There are like 50 of them since the first of March.
  20. e12a macrumors 68000


    Oct 28, 2006
    true, the answer is always the same, and somehow the OP answers it himself/herself.

    "I really need a new computer"

    or like "I can wait a few more months...but i really like it"
  21. Winterfell macrumors regular

    Apr 3, 2007
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm kind of in the same boat as the rest of those that brought up the "with new hardware/software comes new bugs" problem.

    I like being bleeding edge ... but not that bleeding edge.

    I just bought a new MBP last week. Sure I could have waited, but the current line of MBPs will work well for the next several years, and I can upgrade to 10.5 whenever it's released with no worries about whether or not my computer can run it.

    The big picture: anything you buy will soon be eclipsed by something [arguably] better, so if you're always waiting for the next great thing, you're never going to get anything.
  22. diehldun macrumors 6502a

    Nov 15, 2003
    Well I plan on getting a new MBP before college starts this fall, but I pray that Apple doesn't release a new design enclosure right after.

Share This Page