iPhone Should I buy a new phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by guitarmandp, Oct 23, 2014.

  1. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    #1
    A new jailbreak is out. Unfortunately I'm not eligible for an upgrade until January and I was hoping the jailbreak to come out around then (last few years it has). What should I do. Should I just buy a 6 for full price and then hold off on upgrading until the next iphone comes out to use it?

    Surely the jailbreak will be patched by January.
     
  2. ntegra macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2010
    #2
    Funny how this thread literally pops up as I'm thinking the same thing.

    Well to be fair current iphone 6's might still be shipped with 8.0, and even ones shipped near Christmas might be shipped with 8.1.

    That being said, jailbreaks have a pretty good track record of still being breakable on future firmwares since the same loopholes still exist. You might be taking a bit of a gamble waiting until your upgrade to buy a phone but personally it might be worth waiting. I will be waiting until my upgrade (mid december) for an iphone 6+.

    Take this as advice, don't look for an excuse to buy something, I've done it multiple times and sometimes have buyers remorse. Not sure what financial situations you're in but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in:. I'm waiting for my upgrade, and hoping it comes with firmware 8.1 or older.
     
  3. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    #4
    Sorry for bumping this thread but it looks like there is a very limited time I have to jailbreak. Should I just bite the bullet, pay the $849 + tax? Does anybody think a jailbreak will come out for a later iOS 8 firmware?

    I hate AT&T. Two months to go and they won't give me an upgrade unless I switch to that stupid NEXT scam plan. I will keep my 5S before I switch to AT&T Next
     
  4. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

    famoussasjohn

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    #5
    It's possible, though it's on whoever wants to burn the exploits for 8.1.1 or holding off for a future release. Is a jailbreak worth $849+tax? Maybe if you desperately need a phone with a jailbreak. If you have the funds to drop on it today or perhaps NEXT will be a better option so you can pay it off over time instead of all $849.99+ tax due today.
     
  5. Jman13 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #6
    The Next plan really isn't a scam any more (the plan when they originally rolled it out most certainly was, but no more). Now it's just the full price of the phone financed for 0% interest for whatever term you choose. You can pay the phone off in full at any time, and you won't spend a dime more than buying it off contract. For me, it made sense because the monthly cost between a 2 year contract and Next was a whopping 2 dollars a month, and after a year, I'll sell my wife's old device, pay off the current phone and get the next phone on Next. Same as on a contract except this year, I didn't have to pay the $300 upfront for an on-contract phone. Just tax and then I got the phone.

    Because they don't require you give the phone back at the end of term, if you can get more money than what is owed after a year, you can just sell the phone and pay off the remainder of what's owed with that and then get another phone. There's really little downside, unless you have grandfathered unlimited that you want to keep. For my wife and I, switching to Family share was nice...same cost, 3 GB more than we were getting and now we both get tethering instead of just me.
     
  6. noiceT macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    #7
    Buy it now. JB isn't guaranteed in later releases of ios8.

    8.1 was worth the wait for Apple Pay.

    Even if you get a 8.0 phone, will have to choose between JB and Apple pay, as the sign window will be closed soon as 8.1.1 releases.
     
  7. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    #8
    Ok thinking about just spending the $849 + tax and then I will get $350 to $400 back when I sell my 64gb 5S and then in February when my contract is up, I will just get a 16gb iphone 6 for $199 and sell it on eBay
     

Share This Page