Should I buy a Nintendo DS?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gadgetgirl85, Dec 21, 2008.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I was thinking of buying a Nintendo DS after Christmas if they were any good sales. I know the DSi will come out eventually. Do you think I should wait? (Recommendations for games would be appreciated too :))

2. PawnTakesKing macrumors newbie

I would only pick up a DS Lite if you have any interest in playing old GBA games. Otherwise, wait for the DSi. The Wii connectivity and downloadable software looks promising.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If my DS broke today I'd definitely buy another to tide me over until the DSi hits. I enjoy it that much :).

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah it's a great system, waiting for DSi doesn't seem worth it considering it looks like it might come late 2009.

Great games for it are the Castlevania and Ace Attorney series, as well as Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros (it's good though it's, in my opinion, the worst mainstream 2D mario platformer), you might like Phantom Hourglass (I couldn't get into it but some people (I.E. JackAxe) swear by it), Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, Brain Age 2, Viva Pinata, Mario & Luigi Partners In Time, Professor Layton.

Well there's a lot but you really can't go wrong with Castlevania (if you're a gamer, you'll like it at least one bit) and Ace Attorney (if you don't mind tons and tons of dialogue and you like logic problems). Mario Kart DS is also pretty great for pretty much all people.

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hmm, the Wii connectivity does sound appealing. When is the DSi coming out?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There is no definite release date on the DSi yet. I'd get a new DS. I stopped getting DS stuff for about 18 months whilst I flirted with the PSP some, now I've got a load of games to work through. Great little system that.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Do it. :)

Only wait for the DSi if you think you'd use any of the new features. I have a DS Lite and the DSi doesn't interest me in the slightest. If you can find a deal, go for it, it's a fantastic system.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The DS is great, although I forget, viccles, do you have an iPhone or a touch? You could amuse yourself with games for those while waiting for the DSi... I think we're finally hitting the cusp of getting a decent trickle of major design house games on the iPhone....

As for the DSi, to me the most exciting thing is the online / downloadable games.... but I haven't really decided whether I'll get one to upgrade my DS or not.

9. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I mostly play Baker's dozen on my Touch. I think that new ball-roll-garbage collecting game might be worth trying...

Anyways, by a freaking DS!!! You have an iPhone for all of the extras a DSI offers over a DS.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a DSi from Japan :p I beleive the release date will be "Summer 2009" for the US, however nothing is set in stone yet.

I've had 2 hinges go out on me on the DS now, I currently have a DS in for repair since the hinge just flops open and the upper screen gets wonky from it.

12. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I've decided to wait on the DS as I am not that desperate to have one and ended up buying a second hand PSP instead :D

13. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Just warning, as Ive seen the DSi. IT IS NOT SHINY and WHITE LOOKS BETTER THAN BLACK> :p

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would put two slips of paper into a hat. One says DS and the other says DSi. Now pick randomly from the hat.

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I was ready to sell my DS until they announced GTA Chinatown Wars. Now the only reason i'm keeping it around is to play that game when it comes out!!!