Should I buy a outright Scanner or 3:1 Printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dsa420, Jul 5, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I have been considering buying a 3:1 printer only to use the scanning and copying functionality. I presentetly own a laser jet print which is fantastic and I plan to continue to use it for ALL my printing needs.

Having just purchased a new Macbook Pro I am eligible for the $100 off printer promotion. Considering that I am looking in the $200 range for the 3:1 printers that have seemingly decent quality scans, I could basically pay $100 and go with this option and choose to utilize the product for one of its inferior functions.

OR does it make sense to purchase a product whose single function is to scan? Ideally I will be using this product to scan paper documents for archival purposes and maybe do my folks a solid and scan in some old photos. Basically, I do not have a clue about scanner quality would like to know if a midrange 3:1 Printer (Canon MX860, $99 after rebate) will net comparable results to a Scanner only product ( CanoScan 8800F, $179 average)

Apologies for the vast email, hope it makes sense.

2. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

Get a scanner. If you aren't going to print, might as well save the money. There are several applications that let you use your USB printer and scanner as a direct copier.

3. qacjared macrumors regular

And doesn't Snow Leopard have scanner sharing like the printers have now?

4. mdgolom macrumors 6502

It sounds like you already purchased the MBP. The rebate is only good if you purchase the computer and printer together on the same ticket/invoice.

From Apple's website:

"PROMOTION RESTRICTIONS: All Apple computer(s) and qualifying printer(s) must be purchased on the same invoice or sales receipt. "

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would buy an 3-in-1 for a simple reason that it will save you a lot of space, unless you will keep you old printer. I would only consider buying a stand a lone scanner if i would be doing no printing at all.

6. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

1. I can still purchase a 3:1 from another Apple retail store in my area that actually has the computer and they can "add it to my current ticket".

2. Space is not an issue

3. Plan to do NO printing so really, are the question become are standalone scanners significantly faster and offer better quality?