Should I buy a Powermac G5 Dual 2.5ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by poopmonkey, Jun 5, 2008.

1. poopmonkey macrumors newbie

Alright guys I kinda new here, but I have a question for the community. Well, I am a student who is pretty serious about creating films. Now, I am looking for a computer that will be able to handle film editing and render them at a reasonable time. So, I found the G5 powermac Dual 2.5ghz. Since, my budget is pretty tight I can only afford something to about 700-800 dollars. I really want a mac that I will be able to use for film editing and that is able to handle the current version of final cut express. So is the G5 powermac worth the money or is there a better option?

2. Super Intendo macrumors regular

You might consider saving a little longer. While that's a very nice computer, I just cant recommend PowerPC Mac's any more. There are just too many apps that are intel exclusive and too little support from apple.

Save up longer and get an iMac or a MacBook Pro or something. It may seem like more work now, but in the end you'll be glad you did. (of course its still your choice, this is just what I would do)

3. poopmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

The macbook pro is a laptop. Would that actually handle film editing? Also, is an imac a worthy investment, due to it's lack of upgradably?

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the rumors say OS 10.6 might be as early as Jan '09, and may drop PPC support entirely. PPC is really a dead end technology in macs at this point, I'm sorry to say. Not to mention that the dual 2.5 G5 is a machine with a history massive meltdowns due to its liquid cooling.

Bottom line - go intel. It's faster, it's supported in the future, and it's not going to self destruct like a lot of liquid cooled G5s did.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

MBP is faster than Dual G5 2.5 GHz, with the exception of HD speed of course.

Dont get PPC - its dead.