Should I Buy A PS3 Now Or Wait For PS4?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by rekhyt, Feb 25, 2010.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

(I did see the should I buy/sell thing but I have a number of new questions.)

News about the PS4 is few and I'm thinking about getting a PS3 right now-I've been mainly a PC gamer but recently PC game development has dwindled and so far Assassin's Creed 2 for the PC (Or the Mac) is a disappointment. Is the update to PS4 coming very soon? I don't want to buy one and find out months or half a year later that I should've waited.

Should I get a PS3 now then? (Also, will it work with a desktop monitor? I sometimes travel.)

Also, how big is the learning curve of using a PS3? I'm mainly used to using WASD for MMOs and some RPGs, using the mouse and WASD to aim for Call of Duty, and the arrow keys for racers like Need For Speed.

Thanks in advance,
    Rekhyt

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the PS4 wont be out for a long long time. buy a PS3 or wait a good 3+ years.!

3. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

PS4 won't be released for many years... Sony has said that the PS3's lifespan is 10 years. I wouldn't expect any official PS4 news before 2012.

4. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

I might be going boarding after a few years, so I'm not sure if now is a wise time to buy a console. What do you guys think?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

BUY BUY BUY!

buy an old PS3 for cheaper. its what i did!

6. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

What they said - PS4 is many years away!

Learning curve is pretty easy...if you can handle a PC, you can most definitely operate a PS3.

I've heard of people using them with PC monitors, never asked for details though. I assume if it's a high resolution monitor with an hdmi input, it's smooth sailing. Any other connection types, I have no idea.

7. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a good plan. But is it any good to play with a 17 or 21" desktop monitor if I might go boarding though?

(And how's the learning curve? It seems so perplexing on how to play it. There are so much buttons on it and it seem impossible to use all those buttons. There's two joysticks which keep your thumbs occupied, and then some other buttons, ...)

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Most new LCD monitors have HDMI input, or you can buy a HDMI-DVi cable.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Surely you have a good mate to let you have a go on his PS3 to see how well you get acquainted.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If he's a really good mate he might let you have a go on somthing else.
    Comes in handy in boarding school :D j/k

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dont have a screen that size, but as long as it takes HDMI or you have a hdmi->dvi converter you will be fine!!

the buttons are fine! sooo easy to get used to. you could even install PS3 Media Server on ur mac and stream movies/music from ur mac to your PS3. :D its what i do.

12. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Well errrr... Most of my mates have XBOXes or PSPs. I have one with a PS2 but I think there is quite a difference between the 2 and 3, if I'm correct.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the controllers and buttons are basically identical! (apart from L2/R2 which are now pressure sensitive). but yea other then that they are the same.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep graphically at least. Basically if you can get one, you will have a blu-ray player along side a console to take with you. Whether or not that is much use to you once in boarding is dependent on study, access to purchasing games / movies etc.

None of us can tell you what is right for you at the end of the day. There are plenty of internet sources where you can find all the information pertaining to the PS3.

You know your life, your wants, your desires, your financial circumstance - better than any of us. Let that information be the defining factor in whether to buy or not, and only you can answer that.

There is nothing more to say on the matter really.

Let this be added to the should I buy thread sticky and ended before it turns into a console flame thread as inevitably they do.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=407837

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Personally, I'm not a big fan of FPS on the PS3, not a big fan of joystick aiming.

Aside:
    Well, I am not in short supply of those jokes as I went to an all boys boarding school, one with some history to back it up with.

(@drummer: the school you'll recall that several teachers did naughty things to kids a while back)

16. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup same here, so hard to use! i still play COD on it tho...

your talking to me? if so, i think i do recall ;)

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ther has been no news concerning the next gen consoles

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152746

MRU put it best

21. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I say its atleast a minimum 5 years before we see a PS4 My predictions we will see the following in order.

PSP 2
    Wii 2
    xbox 720
    ps 4

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

720? what a crap name haha. i hope it doesnt indicate the next step in resolutions! (1080p).

by then we will be hopefully at 4320p!!!!! *preys*

hmm doubt that.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm sure that MS will want to tie it into Windows 7 like they did with the new phone OS. So, my prediction is "Xbox 7 Series".

:eek:

24. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright, that sounds good. I think I'm going to go with a PS3 then. (The free online features are also awesome too.)

How are the controls of the PS3 though? I played a PS2 before on a hack-and-slash game but I'm not sure how FPSes and games like Assassin's Creed 2 which requires a degree of accuracy in the controls can be played with a joystick.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope the next gen can run flawlessly at a constantly at 1080p! Instead of just UI's and a select few games. Lets master current HD first ;).