Should I buy a PS3, Xbox360, or Wii?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by morgothaod, Sep 10, 2010.

1. morgothaod macrumors regular

- I won't be having internet
    - I want to be able to play DVDs and music CDs
    - My favorite genre is first person shooters. I also like fighting games.
    - Money isn't an issue

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well wanting to play DVD puts the Wii out of the picture.

Is down to 360 and PS3. Best question is look at the exclusive games and see which one has more of those that you want.

3. Nuck81 macrumors regular

If you like FPS I'd look at the 360, BUT most of the fun of 360 shooters comes from the online multiplayer, so not having Internet may be a bother.

If you're interested in DVD or Blu-Ray I'd get a PS3 as it can do both.

Both are great systems with a lot to offer.

4. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

You're def in the market for a 360 or PS3; IMO the added option of Blu-Ray sold me way back when I had to make the same decision. Also would need to consider the exclusivity thing. Do you want to play HALO?

5. micahR macrumors newbie

They are basically the same. If you like fps games, I think the 360 has a larger selection. When I was choosing a system it came down to the controller. I liked the xbox controller better.

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

If you are really into shooters I would point out that the 360 has two major franchises that are exclusives in Halo and Gears of War.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

PS3. Not having the web for multiplayer really hurt the appeal of the 360 as it's big name exclusives (ie. Halo and Gears) are really multiplayer/co-op centric.

PS3 has better single player exclusives and all the Modern Warfare jazz as well (though no Halo... hardly a big loss)

8. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

I've never played Halo so I can't comment on it. I did enjoy Gears of War. As for controller, I prefer the PS3. I also won't be using Blu-Rays cause I'll be using Netflix and they charge you extra for them. I like sports games too if that makes one choice more obvious than the other lol. I'm a little afraid of Xbox cause my bro had the red ring of death on it.

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

you look hard enough you can Buy Blu Rays for just as cheap if not 1-2 more I got the Blu Ray/DVD combo of Avatar release day for 20 bucks.

10. One Love 1867 macrumors regular

If your local media such as DVD's and music is more important to you than online play then I'd probably recommend a PS3.

Xbox Live is one of the major selling points of the 360, but for the casual user there's not much in it quality wise (especially considering you have to pay for Xbox Live), and if you have no intention of going online anyway then that selling point pretty much becomes nil. As a media device I've always found the PS3 easier to work with.

As for games, most of the big hitters (especially fighting and sports games) are available on both, but both consoles also have some great exclusives. I don't think you can go far wrong with either.

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'd lean toward the PS3. It is the better of the media players. And for shooters, unless you must have Halo, PS3 is also the way to go. Plus, there will be many "Move" enabled shooters in the near future. Both the PS Move and the Wii Remote are much better control systems for shooters than any regular controller.

Either way, the 360 and PS3 each have huge FPS libraries. You wouldn't be lacking for good games on either system. the Wii is a great system. However, the lack of DVD movie playback pretty much nixes it for your purposes.

12. timring macrumors newbie

I'd go with the PS3. I have a 360, and I chose that mainly because of Xbox LIVE. But since you will not be using internet, I'd go with the PS3. And even if you decide to do some casual online gaming, the Playstation Network is free, compared the $60 yearly fee for LIVE. It also depends on what games too. Cross platform games, in my opinion, are generally better on the 360. But if there are some PS3 only games you are really interested in, go with the PS3. Also look at the controller. I think the 360 has a better controller, but the PS3 controller isn't bad at all. It's up to you. For your situation, I'd go with the PS3. Although you can't listen to music and play games at the same time, it's a great media player. But at the end of the day, it's only your personal preference.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

14. benwizkid macrumors member

benwizkid

Ps3 has a lot of offline exclusives (God of War 3 and others) I have all 3 systems but if I wasn't going online and had to choose I would choose Ps3 then wii then 360

15. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I'd go PS3, but I'm biased, I have one. Love it for sport games

Building a gaming rig is also a good idea, and can be a fun challenge.

16. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Hahaha, God this is THE question isn't it? Personally I would pass on the Wii, next this is the part I WOULD tell you to get the one your mates have but.....

So, it's a tough one, IMO multiplats are better on the 360 but the PS3 is a better stand alone machine and has Blueray if you like your films, it's a better media machine. Tough one really. I guess you could look at Halo and Killzone and think which you prefer more? I would say though i think Killzone is a better single player experience but I only have a PS3 but I did play Halo 3 when I had my 360. Also Unchartered 2 is almost THE best game ever made, period! And it's a large part down to the voice acting, MANY others could learn from this game...............

17. rotlex macrumors 6502a

If money isn't an issue, buy all of them. (Or at least a 360 AND a PS3). Seriously. I own all 3. All 3 have some great exclusives. Never quite understood the need to only have one. :)

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If you are a die hard FPS and/or Internet co-op player, get a 360 and a Wii (the Nintendo franchises are must-haves). You're never going to be happy with the PS3's invite and chat system.

If you want a media player console, get a PS3 and a Wii.

The biggest problem with the PS3 is Sony's arrogance (insistence on XMB, refusal to initially support rumble or trophies, slow to get built-in PSN Store, feature removal, lack of system-wide voice chat, slow integration with other Sony divisions like TV and Music, etc). It's always been a work in progress.

If you can deal with that, and accept that a lot of third-party titles are optimized and developed with the 360 as the theoretical quality bar (although this is changing), get the PS3.

Sony's first-party titles (like Nintendo's) (Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, etc) are usually fantastic. Also, don't avoid Sony's mainstream titles like Little Big Planet and Ratchet and Clank. They're awesome too.

I've always believed if Sony could ever get their divisions (PlayStation, Bravia, Pictures, Music, Ericsson, etc) to work cooperatively they could own the home entertainment market for years. No other tech company is as diverse as Sony, Inc.

19. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat.

I already have a PS2 and a Gamecube. I now want to buy a new video game system, but it would be more for the kids than for me. So a Wii would be the obvious choice.

The PS3 has this "Move" thingy now and the 360 has Kinect. But Kinect is a bloody expensive add-on and I've already heard that Sony's move is good, but not as good as the Wii. Furthermore, the Wii's library is already extensive and we're just now seeing the first batch of Move and Kinect games (which don't look to be very good, really). I also believe that there's nothing like Super Mario Galaxy on either 360 or PS3. But this works both ways, which means you won't find any games like Forza 3, GT5 or Streetfighter 4 on Wii. Which for an arcade game lover like me, is very disappointing.

But the Wii is more family oriented AND it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the other two (three votes against one, my wife and kids want a Wii).
    Granted, I have GT4 and Tekken5 on my PS2 but to tell you the truth, I've seen Super Streetfighter 4 on PS3 and I was really impressed. And I've seen a video preview of Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I'm already salivating at the thought.

The 360 is the "weakest" contender, because the PS3 has a BluRay drive. We also want to buy that so maybe I could use that argument to persuade the wife. But then I'd have to be sure that the PS's Move games are every bit as good as those on the Wi...

20. micahR macrumors newbie

If you are into FPS and are only gonna get one system, then go 360. My brother-in-law has both the ps3 and the 360 and he recommends the 360 for FPSs.
    But if money is no object then get the PS3 and the 360. They both have a ton of great games and are both fantastic systems. You could even save money on one of the systems by taking advantage of the free game system with purchase of a tv from bestbuy.

21. madmax_2069, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

And why do that, obviously he/she already has a computer. and the op asked if to buy a 360 or PS3.

back on topic

its a tossup between the 360 and PS3. PS3 because of blue ray, heck you can pick up a HD DVD for the 360 for the cheap and the movies are mostly under $5 or some $0.50 but the downfall is no newer movies really because HD DVD is no more.

the new style 360 so far has been doing ok as far as the old 360s issue, i have the last version of old style 360 (jasper) 9 months old and no sign of issues.

but even the PS3 has its issues (YLoD = yellow light of death).

but that really depends on your preference of games and the layout of the controller . you should look around at each systems exclusives, the multi platform games ( as in MW2 and so on) are better on the 360 then on the PS3. you can blame the sloppy porting jobs by the devs to the PS3 for that.

and a Wii, forget that thing, the Kinect craps all over it, the PS3 move is basically the same as the Wii remote. if you want to watch movies then stay away from the Wii.

22. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

You, of course, have all three systems and have been able to make an objective comparison between them ?

And what if watching movies on a games console isn't a must at all ?

23. apolloa, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I deleted my reply as I forgot I already replied above :D:rolleyes::eek:

24. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

just buy a PS3, it's a Sony product, they last forever trust me bro, i still have my launch unit and i just bought a slim.
    free multiplayer, i've experienced no lag whatsoever, ppl that tell you they do, are liars. It has BluRay, so you can use it as a bluray player to watch all your movies and it can do 1080p, which looks awesome imo

xbox360 are too bulky and get the rrod, and can't do 1080p nor do they have BluRay and they only have halo...

the wii is just too childish.

get a ps3, you wont regret it

25. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

This is a joke post, right?? Please tell me this is a joke post, and people don't really think about things like this. :rolleyes: