Should I buy a PSP?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gusthecat, Jul 29, 2007.

1. gusthecat macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm tempted to get a PSP. We already have a DS Lite.

I'm primarily interested in gameplay and web browsing second.

I'd like to play emulators like MAME or NES/SNES on it at some point. Any comments on MAME speed? I saw some YouTube videos that looked pretty slow and the game was FROGGER.

I know the newer, smaller one is coming out in September. I'm hoping to pick up a used one from someone who upgrades.

Any comments on the system in general? I'm looking forward to the God of War version for the PSP too.

Thanks,

GusTheCat

2. Frosty1 macrumors member

no the PSP sucks, hardly any good games for it, I'd say to get a DS instead but you already have one. I'd stick with the DS

3. applekid macrumors 68020

If there's games you want, go for it, but I'd still wait to get the slim PSP. The bundle has lots of extras that make it worth it.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It depends on what type of games you want. Currently the PSP have some strong titles including:

MG: PO, Acid 1 & 2
    The Warriors
    Daxter
    R&C: Size Matters
    Killzone
    LocoRoco
    Lumines 1 & 2
    Mega Man
    SOCOM: FTB 1 & 2
    S.Phiter 1 & 2(coming soon)
    Silent Hill: 0rigins (Coming soon)
    Jean De Arc (coming soon)
    Castlevania (Coming Soon)

I would wait until the slim psp come around because its a better deal.

Bless

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Oy, fanboys annoy me.

The PSP has a lot of fun games out for it, and coming out for it, like 2ny mentioned.

I cant wait for Castlevania and Crisis Core personally, plus then all the homebrew, emulators, and video playback is icing on the cake.

2GB Memory Sticks are becoming cheaper too, like this week at Best Buy and I believe Circuit City as well, they're 40 bucks.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had to get rid of mine since it didn't have good games on it.

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'll be picking up a PSP Lite around the time GoW comes out, and I'll also buy some other games like WipeOut Pure (#2 on my list, slightly behind GoW), the remake of Dracula X (with unlockable Symphony of the Night...sweet), Ratchet: Deadlocked, the [good] Metal Gear title...couple others.

The system isn't bad.

There's more highly regarded games on the DS but that doesn't mean that the PSP is a hunk of crap. Besides, you can use it for media, you can use it for WiFi web surfing, and (most importantly) you can use it for emulators and Ps1 games on Memory Stick. ;)

TV Out, better battery life, faster loading on the Lite = I'm sold. I'll be getting the $199 kit with the 1gig MS Duo stick, Daxter, and the Family Guy UMD.

8. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't waste my time, at least now on full price. Try and pick one up used if you can. There's only a handful of decent games for it.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

the web browsing sucks on PSP just so ya know.

But ignore those who say it has no good games, they haven't played one before or they sold theirs a long while back when the system truly had no good games *coughjimmicough*

10. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Go for it if you like FPS. I have heard the web browser is only slightly better than the one on the DS. Neither of them are really designed to browse the web.
    And to get emulation wouldn't you need a low firmware PSP, or would you downgrade the version?

11. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You can downgrade; a recent hole was found using Lumines that lets you downgrade from any firmware (which is why Lumines is suddenly popular again in sales ;)).

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Maybe I should give this hombrew stuff a try...besides I have a copy of luminess..

I think I'll give it a run.....right after I turn over silent hill about 4 times(that should get me all the endings:D)

Bless

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What? I've sold my system so I haven't seen one since?

I've played almost all the "big" games on it. Loco Roco and Crush were the only one remotely fun and even then you can buy a GBA with Yoshi's Tilt n Tumble (gyros work so much better for this kind of game) for pennies these days. Congrats to Crush though.
    The only game worth buying a PSP over a PS2 for.

OP- if you want to use emulators and that you can't just go out and buy a new PSP. It needs to be a special firmware, 1.5 is the golden one but you can downgrade from some other firmwares. This will be extremely tricky for you to play the latest games and have a portable emulator. Sony enjoy cracking down on people wanting to get to 1.5, so you can expect a huge firmware update for playing God of War and other AAA titles. It's a constant game of cat and mouse.

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Here you go 2ny...
    http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/beware-of-the-illuminati.html
    That link has the file you need to download. ;)

15. gusthecat thread starter macrumors newbie

PSP update

Well I borrowed my newphew's PSP last night. Unfortunately, he couldn't find his games. I was able to try out the browser, MP3s, watching some vids off the memory stick etc.

The screen is nice for sure. The analog stick is interesting.

I guess I'm wondering what the killer app is for it. You know, like Halo for the Xbox or Gran Turismo for the PS2.

I wish I had a game to try out as I'm sure thats the strongest point. I'll try to go rent one tonight and give it a shot.

For the price, I may just look for some new games for the DS Lite.

If anyone has comments on the speed of MAME, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks to all for you feedback!

GusTheCat

16. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'm not sure if there's a 'killer app' for the system; granted, my experience is very limited with the PSP, but...nothing really stands out as a "must-buy-the-system-for" IMO.

Again though, I think there's a solid batch of games that anyone can enjoy; I just don't know if there's any true system sellers out there. I see the PSP moreso as a "it's worth owning one for several reasons" type of thing rather than a "zOMG u must buy PSP for dis game!!!!~!". :)

Then again, YMMV. You may be very interested in one PSP game that makes you want the system, but that same title may not interest me (or someone else) at all. In my case - God of War is a system seller for me. I bought a Ps2 for God of War 1, I'll buy a PSP for God of War: Chains of Olympus, and I'll buy a Ps3 for God of War 3...simple as that. :D

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Zero, I'm not sure if the lumines hole work on software version 3.51.....someone downloaded it for me:mad:

Guess I'm suck at square one again.

Bless

18. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Get it. Don't pay retail. There are a lot of good games are there are more coming. Try pawn shops near you. I got a PSP at a pawn shop near me for (I think) $110.

Lumines can downgrade any firmware up to 3.50.

to gus: I would disagree that Gran Turismo is a "killer app" for the PS2. The definition of killer app varies but a more likely candidate on the PS2 would be Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, GTA, or Resident Evil.